Picture Test

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajbell

Established Member
Reaction score
Just trying to work out how to post images.

IMGP0147.JPG

Hope above is a picture!

Andy

Oh dear - it is rather large!

I used photoshop to save it as 800x600 pixels,
do I have to specificy an actual size in cms?

Andy

I think that is sorted.

Thanks Adam for the sticky on posting!

Time to stop talking to myself and go to bed I think!

Andy

As long as the pic fits the screen without me having to use the scroll bar big is best, another annoying point on some pic galleries is when it only shows a thumb nail pic and you have to click on the pic to make it bigger, I think most of us these days are on broadband so the download time is pretty quick, so as I've already said "biggest is best but not bigger than the screen" :lol:

PS... nearly forgot to say...... "Nice pics" :lol:

Lord Nibbo":3ggz7s3r said:
As long as the pic fits the screen without me having to use the scroll bar big is best, another annoying point on some pic galleries is when it only shows a thumb nail pic and you have to click on the pic to make it bigger, I think most of us these days are on broadband so the download time is pretty quick, so as I've already said "biggest is best but not bigger than the screen" :lol:

PS... nearly forgot to say...... "Nice pics" :lol:

I'd agree with all that. So the first pic is fine with me. I too find the clickable thumbnails a bit tedious to open - so a nicely sized photo is best - both these are fine.

Thanks all for the comments.

Jacob - you have found me out re: face and edge
This was a leg for my first workbench and I just used
the B&Q pine as bought!

Will do better in future.

Andy

i prefer 1st one too....most people these days are using higher res than 800x600 and i dont think anybody uses less, so i always use this size also when you save it as a jpg get the quality down to something that gives a finished filesize of under 200kbs and even dialups wont have a problem :)

All

Thanks for your responses!

I have now posted "loads" of images in the projects
section on my first workbench.

I used some 800x600 and some 400x300.

Andy

If you are using Photoshop to work on your pictures you can improve download time by saving for web rather than just saving. Go to the File menu and choose Save for Web. Make sure the preset is set to JPEG Medium and click save.

Beware, if you save it to the folder it came from you will be prompted to overwrite the existing file. If you do this and then Photoshop prompts you to save the file when you close it - DON'T - it will overwrite your newly saved small file for the web.

Try this:

Save a file as you would normally for printing, with a JPEG setting of 12. Then save the same file using File/Save for Web but giving it a different file name. Save both files to the same folder.

Now go to Windows Explorer (or Finder if you are posh and use a Mac) and check the file sizes. you will find that the one where you used Save for Web is about a tenth the size of the original one. This is because Photoshop strips out all the printing info and also saves with a greater compression setting.

Hope I'm not teaching everyone to suck eggs with this.

regards

Brian

Back