Acrylic paint troubles - help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JangoTrooper

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Hope all is well!

I don't post alot in this forum.

With the cold winter weather's I have been acrylic painting mdf wood from a spray can.

For some reason once painted and leaving to dry. I seem to be getting wrinkles in my paint work. Why is this happening? What's the best solution going forward? Am I best to sand back to the mdf again?

Hopefully the picture will explain the problem.

Can anyone help on this?

Attachments

• DSC_5373.JPG
    6.6 MB · Views: 0
It could be the cold not letting it evaporate the solvent/water properly or it may be that there is contamination on the surface you are painting.

Did you prime it? wipe it with a solvent to remove any grease etc?

It could be the cold not letting it evaporate the solvent/water properly or it may be that there is contamination on the surface you are painting.

Did you prime it? wipe it with a solvent to remove any grease etc?

Agree with Ollie 78. Another possibility: Did you store it where it could freeze? After it thaws out again IME it can still spray OK but will then "dry a bit lumpy" (on mine it does say "don't allow to freeze).

Are the coats light and many to build up or one heavy coat?

I have primed it yes. This prime paint is suitable for Mdf.

The work is stored in the garage which with the current climate is cold.

After cutting and sanding the mdf pieces i spray with primer. I don’t clean with solvent. This would mess up with the mdf which surely would be worse for priming.

I have primed it yes. This prime paint is suitable for Mdf.

The work is stored in the garage which with the current climate is cold.

After cutting and sanding the mdf pieces i spray with primer. I don’t clean with solvent. This would mess up with the mdf which surely would be worse for priming.
Using a high solvent like that used in panel wipe for automotive painting should cause no damage to the MDF because it evaporates very fast. It just ensures there is no grease , wax or probably most mportantly silicone. Silicone is a particular nightmare for paintwork.

Using a high solvent like that used in panel wipe for automotive painting should cause no damage to the MDF because it evaporates very fast. It just ensures there is no grease , wax or probably most mportantly silicone. Silicone is a particular nightmare for paintwork.
Are you able to provide a link to where I can purchase this high solvent?

Sounds promising.

I just use acetone. Unless you pour "gallons" onto MDF itself (instead of on to a clean cloth or paper towel), it evaporates fast enough that no damage is done to the MDF "glazed" surface. The trick is to get ALL the crud off before painting (and to "de nib" between coats).

HTH

It looks to me that you have applied too thick a coat, rather than several thin coats. Very easy to do when the surface is horizontal! The backing board shows paint has flowed under the item.

Back