Pfeil chisels.. I've been a bad man!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EddieJ

Established Member
Reaction score
Back in August, I made one of my yearly trip to Switzerland, and went into a woodcarving shop with the sole intention of buying just one chisel that I required for my oak framing.
The downside was that I have been slowly getting the urge to take up wood carving as hobby, and not only did I end up buying the chisel that I wanted, I also ended up buying these!! :lol:

DSCF9114.jpg

DSCF9116.jpg

I bought the chisel that I needed the first day, and went back a few days later for the rest. I had already worked out that the kits were not suitable for my needs, and when I explained this to the shop keeper, she became enthusiastic, and explained that the kits were sold to hobbyists that have no prior knowledge about wood or the use of chisels.
She was really helpful, and when I showed her my list, she proceeded to explain, that if eliminated this and this, replace with this version, you get the same use from one single chisel. She wasn't out to simply make money, and she genuinely offered sound advice, showed me how to use the chisels, and even gave me some wood to play with!
I went away very happy, and then suddenly realised that I knew nothing about the sharpening and looking after them. I returned to the shop the next day, and she immediately said, " I didn't show you how to look after the chisels" She then took me out to the back of the shop, and gave me a lesson in the sharpening and care of them. :)

Sadly, time has been against me since returning, and yesterday was the first chance that I have had to use them. It's going to be quite some learning curve, and it's already surprised me just how different each chisel feels, and just how different each one is to use.
My first project is carving flower and insect details, into an oak tree that I cut down earlier in the year. I left the stump sticking up, and had cut it into the shape of a seat with a chainsaw. I've now sanded it down, and the fun has begun. I'll post the results up when finished, but on a final note, I also managed to cut my finger on one of the chisels when it slipped from my hand! This is my first accident in 25yrs of working with wood and woodwork tools, and I hope that it will be my last!! :lol:

Eddie your story reminds me of my experience of buying my first carving chisels. I was at a woodworking show, Ally Pally or Earls Court, can't remember. Two Cherries brand of tools were being introduced for the first time into the UK. I can remember being introduced to the owner of the company who was addressed as Herr Doktor. He had no English nor I any German but we managed to communicate OK and he sold me a set of chisels not unlike the set you have selected and then proceeded to show me how to sharpen and polish them. I really like those chisels but to be perfectly honest I like the look of your Pfeils.

Off topic, do you put in an appearance at Bently woodfair at all??

all the best

Alan

Alan Smith":2gilljn5 said:
Off topic, do you put in an appearance at Bentley woodfair at all??

all the best

Alan

I only live about seven miles from Bentley, but have yet to venture through the gates!
A friend is going to be adding a pictorial display of my work on his stand, and I was kind of tempted to pop along this year, but time is against me on my current project.

If you are popping along to te show, enjoy the day. :)

Eddie.

I found the steel on the Pfeil chisels to be superb, but the handles on the bench chisels were very agricultural, which was a big let down :( - Rob

I finally found the time yesterday to have my first try at wood carving! :)

I recently cut an oak tree down in the garden and decided that rather than cut the stump off low, I would leave it high, and turn into a crude seat. I still need to make a base, but here is the start of my playing.

The art work was done by my ten year old daughter, which then just left me to spoil her hard work!! :lol:

seatmain.jpg

use3x.jpg

Then I managed to do something stupid! I work with wood and chisels everyday and have been accident free for over 20yrs, but stupidly managed to somehow cut my finger as I put one of the chisels down! :roll:

dscf9145.jpg

And this is your first attempt at CARVING??????

You're a horrible man :lol: I've been trying and trying to get anywhere near that good for seemingly ages.

Well done, well done!

Of course you've found out the hard way Carving chisels bite hard and deep. Whatever you do don't bleed on the wood, it takes ages to get the stain out.

Well done again.

xy

That's a marvellous collaboration Eddie. Both your daughter and you are very talented.

If it's any consolation - I started carving with Pfeil knives this weekend. Excellent blades and superb for opening flesh. I got a few decent cuts but, like you, every one happened when I was doing something other than actually carving like just getting touched by the blade as I repositioned the work. I've got a glove now.

Brendan

Thanks Brendan :)
I managed to find the time this morning to finish the carving off.
So, now my first attempt at carving is finished, and I now just need to find more wood to attack! :lol:

seat1.jpg

seat2.jpg

Well, you've just had a huge compliment from my wife who walked past as I pulled the pics up and said "Fantastic! I think that's brilliant". High praise indeed because she doesn't part with superlatives easily. When I told her it was your first carving I got the 'you are telling me lies again' look but I showed her the rest of the thread and she believed you and was even more impressed.

Well done to your daughter and you, you are a good team.

Nice First time effort on both items :D ...It seems everyone learning wood carving cuts themselves off and on,I have been carving wood for 20 years and I still once in awhile cut myself,I call it putting yourself into your work or I bled for this or that carving.Pfeil makes wonderful chisels,just a little touch up on a stone here or there and right to work out of the box.I started with a set and fell down the slope badly, my bench is lined with them,just when you think you have enough a new problem arises and you need a different one.You can never just buy one!I saved money turning various sized mallets,I fine that this is another area where too much is never too much....
Happy carving!!

Latest posts

Back