Perhaps a Step too Far

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vic Perrin

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All, I have just acquired a Coronet Major Combination Tool with Lathe, Circular Saw and Planer. It has it's original motor which runs well. I think it is virtually complete but never having seen one before who knows.

It looks to be in good condition with only slight surface rust and paint chipped here and there but nothing drastic.

I don't really know why I brought it but a friend whose illness prevents him from using it anymore asked if I wanted to buy it so hey ho why not.

I fancy having a go at restoring it I think it will only need a good clean to remove surface rust and a paint job perhaps.

I am not sure how old it is it is the maroon coloured one. I have some paperwork with it dated 1982.

I have no idea of how these machines operate or how good they are or in fact their value.

Does anyone know where I can obtain a operating/ maintenance manual for the machine.

Just got this awful feeling that it is going to be yet another addition to my pile of roundtuits .

Cheers

:oops: Vic :oops:

If it's complete then you have a very good machine. In the 60s and 70s the only real choice in small lathes was Myford or Coronet and both were made to a very high standard. If you look at lathes.co.uk you can find lots of info and Tony Griffiths may have the manual.

Most important thing is the condition of the headstock bearings. They are phosphor bronze plain bearings and can be a bit rough if not kept adjusted and lubricated. Not sure how easy the main bearing would be to replace.

The planer would not be legal in a professional shop these days- it has rebating capacity. Getting the thicknesses table dead parallel to the bed could be a fiddle. The planing capacity is only 4" width but its a nice machine.

The obvious problem was always that the optimum height for the spindle for turning puts the saw table a bit high for comfort.

Still well worth refurbishing if it is in anything like decent condition - a really nice machine. I had a Consort for man years and was very happy with it.

Hi Vic you will have to build another shed to put it in. almost completed mine you will have to come over
for a visit when you have finished your traveling around.
DAVE.

red dave":3a26oxtv said:
Hi Vic you will have to build another shed to put it in. almost completed mine you will have to come over
for a visit when you have finished your traveling around.
DAVE.

Hi Dave, hows things going with your move to the posh part of Staffordshire ?

You're right, another shed is on the cards for the Summer.

I've been and priced one up at Staffordshire Sheds in Power Station Road. Just got to decide where the base is going down and when my son comes up he said he will help me lay the base.

Let me know when you get set up and I will pop over for a chinwag

Cheers

Vic

Vic Perrin":bnq53xif said:
Deejay":bnq53xif said:
Afternoon Vic

From an earlier post by Robbo3 ...

http://www.coronetwoodworking.co.uk/index.html

If you search the woodturning forum, it shows thirty pages containing 'Coronet'

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave just tried that link but could not connect to the server

Cheers

Vic

Morning Vic

Still no joy? It works for me.

Cheers

Dave

Deejay":19br55u1 said:
Vic Perrin":19br55u1 said:
Deejay":19br55u1 said:
Afternoon Vic

From an earlier post by Robbo3 ...

http://www.coronetwoodworking.co.uk/index.html

If you search the woodturning forum, it shows thirty pages containing 'Coronet'

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave just tried that link but could not connect to the server

Cheers

Vic

Morning Vic

Still no joy? It works for me.

Cheers

Dave

Got it now Dave Thanks, I have contacted Pyatts and it looks like they have everything I need including the manual

Cheers

Vic

Vic, if you let me know your email address I can send you scanned copies of the manual & other stuff as PDFs.

Latest posts

Back