Perfect 45 degree cut !!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gatesmr2

Established Member
Reaction score
Hiya

I'm back with another daft question :oops:
Ok SWMBO bought a mirror at an auction for 3 quid with one of the corners open slightly but she thought i could fix it easily enough :?

Having looked at said mirror its cheap and looks like it has been exposed to water at some stage and warped.
So thought i'd make another frame for the mirror but having real trouble cutting a true 45 degree angle.
I only have a Ryobi table saw so not the most acurate i know is there an easy way of doing this don't intend making loads of picture frames etc so this is just a one off, well until i get something else given to me to repair.

Oh the frame is 140mm wide and 25mm deep so quite a large cut to get the angle right on and i don't have a SMS. The whole whole thing is only 600mm x 500mm.
Hope that makes sense, i mean the wood is 140mm each side so quite a thick frame with a small mirror set inside it.
Thought it would be easier than this to do and would prefer to do it myself rather than take it to the local timber yard.

Thanks for any advice

Martin

I'd make a mitre sled.

Adjust your saw until the blade is parallel to the table slot. Check check and check again. If you can't hold this adjustment then find out why and fix that first.
Make a hardwood strip that is a good sliding fit in the slot of the TS. Screw this to the underside of a rectangular piece of ply or mdf parallel ish to the blade such that the blade will cut a narrow strip off the edge of the mdf.
Drop the strip into the slot and run the mdf through the saw.

Cut a guide fence strip as thick at your frame stock (25mm?) and as long as the diagonal of your mdf. Fix one end to the topside of the mdf at 45 degrees to the blade. Clamp the free end, adjusting the angle until it cuts perfect mitres. Add a few screws along the length of the fence. Remove the clamp. Check the fence has not moved and it still cuts perfect mitres.

Job done!

HTH

Bob

Another alternative would be to buy a hand mitre saw like this. They are cheap, but in my experience surprisingly accurate for little fiddly jobs like a small frame. One big advantage is that you can hold a short piece of framing safely.

Andy

Latest posts

Back