Pepper mills

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seanybaby

Established Member
Reaction score
I want to make some pepper mills and pretty much know the process. Well i've done 2 so far, first one i did the mechanism wasn't very good, second one was from axminster. From what i remember it ground very well, however i had a little trouble drilling the to take the mechanism. This was due down to the selection of saw tooth / forstner bits i have.

So my question really is what sized bits do i need to order when i buy the mechanisms? I used 25mm for the long center part, its the plastic part I'm worried about. 28mm? 30mm? :?

I would buy a whole set but can't afford at the moment.

Hi Sean,

When you get the kits aren't there specific dimensions re the seperate sections? Usually you have a sort of instruction manual with them.

Pete

Last time i got a mechanism from axminster i didn't get any instructions whatsoever.

Do other people use different mechanisms?

Cheers Pete

Basically there are two different types. The standard one that you see in the shops with the little nut on the top and a ceramic type that allows you to have the top section as big as you like. I think the second is more difficult to use. Some of the guys on here have used them and they seem to be really good but I don't yet have any expeience of them myself. Duncan may come on and tell you more about them.

Pete

The mechanism that Pete mentions is called Crushgrind and they're the only type that I've used. I find them pretty straight forward once you've got the knack of drilling and making a recess for the 2 parts to fit into. I've never liked the way that he ones with the nut on top fit together - fiddly little screws and a mechanism that may get looser whilst using it.

If you get them from here then you should get an information sheet with details of drill dimensions. You can also see the instructions on the website.

Pete - I seen both types in the shops and both types can be ceramic so differentiating them that way may not be helpful

Duncan

duncanh":h793pugt said:
Pete - I seen both types in the shops and both types can be ceramic so differentiating them that way may not be helpful

Duncan

Oops, sorry, I had only seen metal versions of the nut & bolt types.

Pete

Cheers for the replies.

These crushgrind ones seem a little bit to expensive for my needs. I'm just gonna go for an axminster one, until my turning abilities improve.

Back