Pen - timber challenge

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil Farrer

Established Member
Reaction score
Seem to have a lot of strong minded individuals when it comes to timber ID prowess so lets try this one for a challenge! I know what it is having seen the tree from which it came. Lets have your ideas and I'll post the result in a couple of days or own up if someone gets it right first.

Attachments

• Orion CS.JPG
    Orion CS.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 763
  • Orion cs2.JPG
    Orion cs2.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 763
Neil... before i give my guess, is it a true colour or has it darkened with whatever you've used to finish it with..?

Nick

NikNak":pr8hrqpa said:
Neil... before i give my guess, is it a true colour or has it darkened with whatever you've used to finish it with..?

Nick

Nick,

The colours are about as true as you'll get with photography, in reality the colours are probably a bit brighter. The sapwood is a harsh bright white, that immediately adjacent to it is a light bright irridescent (sp?) green and the heartwood within about a centimetre of this piece is a darker green and light brown. The finish hasn't darkened it much but it has highlighted the contrast and enriched the grain. The finish is EEE cream rubbed along the grain, lathe stationary and rubbed to a shine and then a thin coat of Shellawax at 3500 revs.

It was indeed

It is a small world. I think he has moved now to fareham somewhere.

Had some nice bits, not really set up for visitors but very helpful and happy for me to have a dig through his offcuts.

tinytot":3agf0upw said:
It was indeed

It is a small world. I think he has moved now to fareham somewhere.

Had some nice bits, not really set up for visitors but very helpful and happy for me to have a dig through his offcuts.

Known Andy a while, you're the menace who keeps getting there first! Got some nice bits of Andaman Island Padauk off him. I managed to buy three boards of Judas Tree off him and am treasuring it!

Back