Peat bog alternatives?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuckinthemud

Established Member
Reaction score
To make a carved lap harp soundbox you cut a block nearly 3 ft long, 12” wide and 4” thick into a triangle then hollow it until the walls are about 3/4 “ thick. Now traditionally, Celtic lap harp sound boxes were roughed out then buried in peat bogs to season for months/years. The peat stopped them from rotting/spalting and prevented drying shakes. It also gave the wood a nice colour. If I ever manage to get hold of the wood to carve one (anyone in the south west got a big chunk of willow or black poplar?) does anyone have any suggestions for an alternative way of seasoning such a block of timber

To make a carved lap harp soundbox you cut a block nearly 3 ft long, 12” wide and 4” thick into a triangle then hollow it until the walls are about 3/4 “ thick. Now traditionally, Celtic lap harp sound boxes were roughed out then buried in peat bogs to season for months/years. The peat stopped them from rotting/spalting and prevented drying shakes. It also gave the wood a nice colour. If I ever manage to get hold of the wood to carve one (anyone in the south west got a big chunk of willow or black poplar?) does anyone have any suggestions for an alternative way of seasoning such a block of timber
Go up on Dartmoor and sink it, remember where though!!

If Adam could post it, I’ll gladly store it for a while, could be a long time before I return it though as I don’t have the timber block yet. I keep hoping the winter storms will deliver something suitable. Nearly got a nice chunk of alder last year but circumstances kept preventing me collecting it (4 hour round trip ). If anyone within an hour of Cardiff is felling a large willow or black poplar….I’ve made the pillar and harmonic curve, just need the soundbox block

Last edited:
I am also happy to plant the wood in the bog above the croft. It certainly transforms the oak & hazel that comes out of it.
I quite like Chailatte's idea though, but commercial peat (as well as not being environmentally friendly) is cleaned, and it would seem to be the acidic tannins that do the work. Fresh peat packed around the wood in a bath might have the desired effect & get over the 'where did I put it ' issue.
Put the peat back once you have used it.......
You seem to have some within an hour of Caerphilly.

Thanks all, I spent some time researching tinternet and suspect my village is surrounded by small areas of upland peat bog, but not the type using sphagnum moss, it seems Welsh upland marshes are based on other plant species. There’s a country park ranger station about 20 minutes away it could be worth contacting

You could consider a staved construction instead
I found this youtube channel from a link on the aussie forum, good video about a plane maker,
Here's a link to the harp maker, should you not have seen it, good watch.
You'll have to click the subtitles.

staved construction has been the norm for the past few centuries and does make a beautiful harp, it’s just my pig headed nature that won’t let me - if I’m making a harp in the 16th century clearsach style, I kinda wanna make it using 16th century construction methods

Back