Paul Sellers - Trademark?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
everyone from the US is a yank and everyone from the UK is an englishman, to an outsider anyway.

DennisCA":302agimr said:
everyone from the UK is an englishman, to an outsider anyway.

Well it's about time they learned different :D
Diawled dwp :lol:

Bigbud78":ctxv76r7 said:
D_W":ctxv76r7 said:
You're right. We can identify accents from the United States, but not too much else as far as English goes (as in, I'd have no clue what part of England someone was from just listening to their accent - unless they're scottish).

Their not from England if their Scottish :lol: We're all from Britain :)

Those with scottish blood running through their veins will never forget the tyrany of England.!

Bigbud78":2js75jiz said:
D_W":2js75jiz said:
You're right. We can identify accents from the United States, but not too much else as far as English goes (as in, I'd have no clue what part of England someone was from just listening to their accent - unless they're scottish).

Their not from England if their Scottish :lol: We're all from Britain :)

Aah....I should not have made that error, I have been corrected by an Englishman in person for that before ("I am English...ENGLISH...not British...British could mean *anything*)

As far as the yank comments, we get that from all directions. The English call us yanks, and so do the southerners.

ajmacleod":dxpt4q0k said:
Racers":dxpt4q0k said:
His skill level isn't as good a others in some areas.
For example spoon carving .
Paul Sellers rubs me up the wrong way for some reason, I prefer Roy Underhill

Personality preferences aside, Paul Sellers is vastly better at actually demonstrating and communicating what he's doing to someone who doesn't already know and understand it. Roy Underhill may be more entertaining to watch but in the few videos of his I've watched he tends to gloss over some things too quickly; I enjoyed them, but would have found them far harder to replicate myself.

Teachers are rarely the very most highly skilled people in their field of expertise - it's their ability to communicate that's of prime importance and Paul Sellers' calm and measured approach which only skips the completely duplicated operations is first class.

Clearly if you are already skilled in woodwork you're going to find someone who doesn't gloss over the basics tedious, but then those videos probably aren't for you.

Its just the way he thinks he knows every thing and shows how to make a spoon, and ends up with something that you could club a baby seal to death with.
That not the way to communicate, demonstrating something badly.

Roy does seem to rush things but its done one take.

Pete

n0legs":2ajfk1r2 said:
DennisCA":2ajfk1r2 said:
everyone from the UK is an englishman, to an outsider anyway.

Well it's about time they learned different :D
Diawled dwp :lol:

NoLegs, I've had a Romanian lad doing some work for at the dock me the last couple of weeks, nice lad and hard worker, but I was shocked to find out he had never heard of Wales, Ireland and Scotland for sure but not Wales. I still think he didn't quite believe me that outside the cities Welsh was the main language and that it was less like English than Romanian is (Romanian is a latin based language similar to Italian and Spanish)

As for Paul Sellers I think he is an excellent teacher and has helped me spend more time at the bench and less on the machines. His tools and techniques section of his masterclasses is free (although you have to register) and a mine of useful information. I have pretty much stopped reading his blog and agree that he can ramble on and sometimes get caught up in his own importance, but hey, I'm not going to marry him, I just want him to show me how to make a plane and sharpen an auger (I think my ex would agree this arrangement is probably best for him too).
Paddy

"I still think he didn't quite believe me that outside the cities Welsh was the main language"
Nor does anyone else. The second language is apparently Polish. Welsh language is very heavily subsidised by England, and SC4 is per capita the most expensive TV channel in the world.

Phil, when I go to Wales I hear Welsh all the time , I hardly ever hear Irish in Ireland and have never heard Scottish in Scotland (you can't argue with carefully compiled statistics like that) yet there is BBC Alba in Scotland and TG4 in Ireland. Not saying your wrong but I'm surprised.
Paddy

phil.p":3oby64vt said:
"I still think he didn't quite believe me that outside the cities Welsh was the main language"
Nor does anyone else. The second language is apparently Polish.

Phil bachgen chi wir siomi fi :lol:

Paul Sellers is a "northerner" born in Stockport, Cheshire.

When I was in New Orleans a waitress "loved my accent - was I French" - it was in the French District though :)I was born in Yorkshire.

I've talked to Canadians who get upset when you ask which part of the States they come from also NZ's don't like been thought of as Australians :)

Rod

Being a swedish speaker from Finland, the reactions I get are more like "what's a finland?". Nevermind any finer nuances :D

Anyway on the topic, I do like Paul Sellers, his last video on making a plane was very enjoyable. He does give off a messianic vibe sometimes but nobody's perfect.

Back