Paring Chisels - Sharpening

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mezzanine Rob

Established Member
Reaction score
I know this is probably one of those stupid questions but here goes.
I recently bought a set of Henry Taylor paring chisels, now i have sharpened as I would a normal edge. This doesn't seem to have produced an edge suitable, when using I tend to dig in to the work area.
Do you put a different angle on a paring chisel to get best results?

I use good old fashioned oil stones not any of this new trend stuff, jap, diamond or scary sharp etc.

Any help offered greatfully received

Regards
Rob

Lots of different options here but essentially a paring chisel isn't going to get belted with a mallet or hammer. This means that you can afford to have a finer honed edge at around 25deg. I have Jap parers and use a single honed bevel at 25deg using a Kell III guide - Rob

How are the backs, Rob? Last HT parer I was exposed to (some years ago) was noticeably rounded. Depending on what you mean by digging in, that could be a cause.

Mezzanine Rob":366kvp5p said:
I know this is probably one of those stupid questions but here goes.
I recently bought a set of Henry Taylor paring chisels, now i have sharpened as I would a normal edge. This doesn't seem to have produced an edge suitable, when using I tend to dig in to the work area.
Do you put a different angle on a paring chisel to get best results?

I use good old fashioned oil stones not any of this new trend stuff, jap, diamond or scary sharp etc.

Any help offered greatfully received

Regards
Rob
What exactly are you doing with them? They aren't planes; they will dig in if they are forced too hard, like any other chisel.

In general for paring chisels you want the angle as low as possible since this will produce the sharpest edge and means you need less effort to push the tool through the wood and therefore have more control over the cut.

If you need to use more pressure than you could apply with one finger then it might be time to investigate those new fangled honing gadgets, or at the very least a strop and some compound.

Latest posts

Back