Panel thickness question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmybigfoot

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am making two tea trays like the one in the picture and need to put a panel in. I was wondering if I could glue some ash boards thicknessed to 5mm without it cracking or giving way under load? Can anyone advise?
Jim
5yvy8yta.jpg

probably, just. Personally, I would go a bit thicker and then just shape the edges to go into the grooved sides. This gives you a bit more strength, and allows the base and the sides to sit flat on a table

i wouldnt like to guess- I dont have any small biscuits, so have never tried. You have plenty of glue surface though, so I wouldn't/didnt bother. I think it would require the size smaller than 0, which I dont even have a blade for. Ir you were that bothered, I would be tenpled to get a small router bit, or even a table saw kerf slot, and make a loose tongue up.

I did put a drop or two of dye in the pva, to darken it, in case there was a glue line, and I made a couple of very simple clamps to hold it- 2 blocks of wood screwed to a long piece, at about the right distance, then tapped sideways to tighten.

The tray that I did was about 9mm I seem to recall.

It is quite likely the biscuits will show through.

I've just completed the panels for some doors in ash. 9mm thick simply edge glued and they seem plenty strong enough.
Accurate edge jointing, careful alignment with regular interval clamping but very light pressure.
Book match the panels for a great effect.

Just measured a very old tea-shop style tray, been in use for many years, oak, and the bottom is about 1/4" thick. I don't think it should be thinner.
Simple rubbed glue joint, PVA would be fine.
The main thing about a tray is that the base is the tray, to which a rim is added on top, screwed on from underneath. The base ideally extends beyond the rim (edge rounded off, makes it look thinner, etc) so that the screws aren't too near the edge.
If you make it like a drawer, with a bottom panel in slots, it will be weak. The panel may be strong enough but the weakness is the edge detail. If you do do it that way the base needs to be fielded into the slots, making underneath co-planar with the sides, so that when you put it down the base is contacting the surface. (which is what marcros is also saying above)

Back