Shaker door panels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mobydick21

Reaction score
So for my introduction into DIY Woodworking, I decided to try to replace my naff wardrobe doors for some shaker doors. Quick question and sorry if it is a dumb one. I dont want to use MDF (as I am worried about the dust) and want a grain. So I am thinking of pine for the styles and rails and ply for the panels. My question is this. The thickness of ply, (5mm but not really) from the local DIY Superstore, whilst cheaper than at timber merchant, seems to come in thickness's deliberately different from any slot cutting router bit known to man. Is that true or is there a work around other than make a number of gradual passes with a thinner router bit on a router table? I am not good enough to make a thicker wood panel thin enough to fit a slot in the frame.

So for my introduction into DIY Woodworking, I decided to try to replace my naff wardrobe doors for some shaker doors. Quick question and sorry if it is a dumb one. I dont want to use MDF (as I am worried about the dust) and want a grain. So I am thinking of pine for the styles and rails and ply for the panels. My question is this. The thickness of ply, (5mm but not really) from the local DIY Superstore, whilst cheaper than at timber merchant, seems to come in thickness's deliberately different from any slot cutting router bit known to man. Is that true or is there a work around other than make a number of gradual passes with a thinner router bit on a router table? I am not good enough to make a thicker wood panel thin enough to fit a slot in the frame.
I can't think of an easier method than the one you mention, ie, use your router height adjustment to achieve the required groove width.
I assume the doors will be painted, in which case you could simply glue pine strips to the ply panel to give the impression of a framed door. This would need a thicker ply, say 9mm
Brian

Thanks for your replies. (My first replies!!). I did plan on just varnishing the doors but the ply panels might not look that great once varnished, so they may end up painted anyway.

In profile and scribe cutters the groover is in fact 6.4 mm to allow 6mm ply to be fitted. I appreciate you are trying to simply mill a standard groove so why not just buy a 5 mm slot cutter. ? - available from Wealden. Otherwise find some 6 mm ply which is readily available.

Back