Pair of Laburnum candle sticks - for critique please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gitface

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All

This was an attempt to do some copy turning, which seems to be a sticking point for me at the moment.

The first Candle Stick:
Laburnum_CaddleStick_S2.jpg

The second Candle Stick:
Laburnum_CaddleStick_S1.jpg

And together:
Laburnum_CaddleStick_Pair.jpg

For this attempt I made a little template as I planed it out with suitable marks for the peaks and dips.

While I remembered to take the measurement for the base I forgot to check the top, so the second is a little bigger.

Finish on these was Bee's wax/Carnuban (sp?) friction polish and I think It's the best results I've got with it. The grain on the Laburnum has really jumped out.

Only thing that lets it down is on the second only there looks like the was a split running the length of the piece which has chipped out :(

Thanks,

Mark........

Hi Mark

I am not sure how long you have been turning so it is a little hard to critique any work without knowing this.

You have picked up some points already in relation to the sizing.

The pieces hold the candle so functionally they work.

The best advice I can give is to google candle holders and search through all of the pictures saving the ones you like.

Look at how the lines flow and then are separated by beads/sharp lines to define them.

It is also a good design point to have the bases larger than the tops. this way the detail gets smaller as the form ascends.

Don'T despair at not being able to copy turn,If i made a hundred there would not be two the same.
I think if you want to make multiples of something it is probably best to make them very simple.

Regards George

Mark

Do you design these items before you start work ? like draw your desired item first to see if it " Works " ?

My advice is always have a finished item in mind to make , from a drawing , If you are happy with the outline shape and design , take the drawing with you to the workshop and see if you can make it

At first keep it simple , nice flowing lines , no fancy colours , just concentrate on form size shape flowing lines etc

It will come with time

Sorry the candle stick design / shape does nothing for me :cry:

Maybe worth investing in a book like this one

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Woodturning-For ... 1861083556

there are others available

:wink:

Back