Painting old beams white

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joncooper27

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi we have some old beams that are painted and I want to paint them white to blend in with the new ceiling.
Any recommendations what process to follow and primer and paint to use?
7473D1A4-C642-46A0-8E41-A241154E4C33.jpeg

I'm guessing you are going to board between the joists, plasterboard or T&G, then paint all out in emulsion.
You need a [oil based] blocking primer so nothing bleeds through before you apply your chosen final finish.

Colin

I would second the use of Zinsser - something like their 'Cover Stain' would do.

I'd just wack on some good quality white emulsion. If anything bleeds through you might have to then apply white acrylic primer to seal it in, and give it another coat of emulsion.

Hi James
Yes the beams are in the middle they are very old not sure how old there are 2 beams side by side holding the whole end of our stone house up, so thick walls that’s where the house originally ended!!! We are also doing an extension and the new beams are twice the size holding up a lot less!!!
Im not sure when they started using steel RSJ as supports?
But yes we will use fireproof paint any paint you can recommend

I would wipe it all with sugar soap, rinse and dry. Then next day get some shellac based Zinsser and give it 2 coats. Then whatever you want to top coat will stick.

Ollie

Hi James
Yes the beams are in the middle they are very old not sure how old there are 2 beams side by side holding the whole end of our stone house up, so thick walls that’s where the house originally ended!!! We are also doing an extension and the new beams are twice the size holding up a lot less!!!
Im not sure when they started using steel RSJ as supports?
But yes we will use fireproof paint any paint you can recommend
I would not be surprised if building regs specified 2 layers of plasterboard over the steelwork instead of fire resistant paint. It would be a good idea to check as this may effect how you look at the ceiling details.

Colin

If you have the head height I would plasterboard the ceiling level, easier and will look a lot better IMO.

Before plaster boarding don't forget to run all your cables through and a few open conduits for those cables you forget you need. 😱

Though I am a great fan of Zinsser paints, in this case I can't agree.
The Building inspector insisted on intumescent paint for steel beams on a new build, even though the beams 8"x10"were in a platerboarded ceiling void. The paint in a fire forms a protective skin that delays melting! I bought mine ( around 15 years ago) online, it was expensive that I do remember, and not that easy to get an even coat.

Attachments

• SR roof space E side 19th July 2009.jpg
    SR roof space E side 19th July 2009.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
Back