Quantcast

Paint options for exterior woodwork

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

GarF

Established Member
Reaction score
I've no hope of getting our regular painter this year, though given the extent/speed with which the paint is lifting on our bay windows I'm not sure I want him back anyway. So the time has come to do the first bit of outdoor painting I've tackled in ages, and I have to confess I'm finding the paint options bewildering. Please help to simplify things....

I've got hardly touched tins of oil-based undercoat and oil-based gloss (one Johnstones trade and one International yacht enamel-don't ask). So one option is to start with an aluminium primer eg Rustin's, which I can get online in time for the weekend, and use these.

But perusing wood finishes direct I also see there are also things like Osmo opaque gloss woodstain which I presume work a bit like linseed oil paint.

I suppose I'm wondering if I should stick with the 'conventional' primer/undercoat/gloss approach or shift to something quite different?

Our next door neighbour did his last week and found a few areas needing filling first. We both had our cills repaired at the same time a few years ago, so there's a possibility ours will be the same. Is there much difference in the bond to 2 part filler with things like this Osmo product compared with regular paint?
Cheers
G

Marineboy

Established Member
Reaction score
I use nothing but Bedec MSP for external wood. I’ve not used it for windows as mine are UPVC with stone sills but I do use it for garden benches and for the timber canopy over the front door. It is water based and needs no undercoat or primer. It goes on easily but is a bit thin so needs 3 coats.

GarF

Established Member
Reaction score
Wow, that sounds almost too good to be true. If it’s as effective and compatible as they claim I can probably just strip the failed section of paint back to a good edge and leave doing a complete redo until things settle down, annual leave or some other mug to get up a ladder on my behalf.

I assume a synthetic brush given it’s water based?

sammy.se

Established Member
Reaction score
After recommendations from this forum, I have just used bedec MSP on my uPVC windows and it went on really well. I'm now a convert to MSP and have just ordered a bunch of tins for various jobs.

It's been on for 1 week now, so keen to see how it holds up in the long term. I followed all the prep instructions, and used a synthetic brush. No primer. It is water based but I found it dried very quickly (too quickly) in the warm weather.

I emailed them about a couple of things, and they got back to me within a day, great service. (I asked if I can mix the MSP to the colour I need, without compromising the durability/performance, and they said it is fine)

I bought online from allfinishes.co.uk, full range, great price and free next Day delivery over £30.

Here's a pic. These windows were dark brown before, and needed just two coats on Soft Thyme MSP:

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk