• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Outdoor Plant Stand

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

custard

Established Member
Reaction score
I need to make a quick job for the house, a plant stand that rests against a wall. It will look something like this.
plant-stand8-660x330.jpg

Here's my question. How would you prevent the feet from rotting? It will sit on flagstones rather than soil, so I was thinking of a stainless steel screw in each foot to lift it above the moisture, but does anyone have any better ideas?

Thanks

Attachments

Mrs C

Established Member
Reaction score
Masonry paint was suggested to me for some thing similar which sits on grass. Too soon to know if it works, but the advice was on good authority!

Marineboy

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if the screw will be the complete solution. It will keep the foot of the upright off the flag but in my experience you will get as much water bouncing off the flag onto the wood as might be absorbed through the base.

Bm101

Lean into the Curve
Reaction score
Yeh but it won't be sitting in water. And air will circulate so it can dry. Tanalised timber treated every couple of years should be fine shouldn't it?
You sure you're up to the joinery for this Custard?!? It's a pretty involved undertaking.
:shock:

Callum

Established Member
Reaction score
I saw a video today on YouTube where someone painted the bottom of his fence posts with bitumin paint. Don’t know if you painted an inch or so up the leg of that would help?

doctor Bob

Established Member
Reaction score
I made outdoor benches, I put M8 stainless steel bolts in the bottom. not only stops them sitting in moisture but can be used to level them up.

Osvaldd

Established Member
Reaction score
All my outdoor furniture has bolt feet. No sign of rot after 2 years yet.

Attachments

Nelsun

Established Member
Reaction score
Made some planters and used stainless bolts too. Figured the endgrain could do with "something" other than just paint and used pound-shop epoxy I had kicking around.

Phil Pascoe

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I soaked the legs of a garden bench in preservative, let them dry then stuck Flashband to the bottoms - we moved fifteen years later and there was no sign of rot.

Jamesc

Established Member
Reaction score
+1 for stainless scews

Our garden regularly floods during the winter and we have woodend structures that are now 14 years old.
I was told (i think it was on here) that as long as the timber has a chance to dry out it will take the soakings, it seems to be working

James

custard

Established Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for your suggestions. Stainless steel screws/lag bolts it is.

Jamesc

Established Member
Reaction score
To mind I worry about sealing the ends as any moisure that gets in will be trapped by the sealing.

James

Woody2Shoes

Impressive Member
Reaction score
Yup +1 for stainless screws/bolts (two on each foot) to allow air to circulate underneath.

IME all timber - tanalised/treated or not - which cannot dry out properly (ie by being in direct contact with the ground) will rot, the only question is when.

Painting impermeable stuff on the bottom will trap moisture and accelerate rot.

Cheers, W2S

MattyT

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

My outdoor furniture has bolted feet and prevents rotting because of the air flow.
I'd bore 2 holes into the bottom of each leg of the plant stand and then use a hammer to tap a T-nut into each hole such as these: https://www.accu.co.uk/692-tee-t-nuts
Then thread a hex-head machine bolt into each T-nut. You can then add a hex nut which tightens up against the t nut to keep the adjustment on the bolt.

Sgian Dubh

Established Member
Reaction score
custard":2wsmew9z said:
Here's my question. How would you prevent the feet from rotting? It will sit on flagstones rather than soil, so I was thinking of a stainless steel screw in each foot to lift it above the moisture, but does anyone have any better ideas? Thanks
I'd just use European oak, or the slightly less durable American white oak, and not bother with any feet or protective treatments. Both are classed as durable and will give 20 - 25 years life if in contact with soil. Maybe the cost of the material is a consideration(?), and oak is relatively expensive, so maybe that's why you're asking. Slainte.

doctor Bob

Established Member
Reaction score
Sgian Dubh":30n3df1p said:
custard":30n3df1p said:
Here's my question. How would you prevent the feet from rotting? It will sit on flagstones rather than soil, so I was thinking of a stainless steel screw in each foot to lift it above the moisture, but does anyone have any better ideas? Thanks
I'd just use European oak, or the slightly less durable American white oak, and not bother with any feet or protective treatments. Both are classed as durable and will give 20 - 25 years life if in contact with soil. Maybe the cost of the material is a consideration(?), and oak is relatively expensive, so maybe that's why you're asking. Slainte.
May well last but will look horrendous if it sits in water or moisture. May well grey but the part wicking water will just go black.