Outdoor Plant Stand

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

custard

Established Member
Reaction score
I need to make a quick job for the house, a plant stand that rests against a wall. It will look something like this.
plant-stand8-660x330.jpg

Here's my question. How would you prevent the feet from rotting? It will sit on flagstones rather than soil, so I was thinking of a stainless steel screw in each foot to lift it above the moisture, but does anyone have any better ideas?

Thanks

Attachments

• plant-stand8-660x330.jpg
    plant-stand8-660x330.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 344
Masonry paint was suggested to me for some thing similar which sits on grass. Too soon to know if it works, but the advice was on good authority!

I'm not sure if the screw will be the complete solution. It will keep the foot of the upright off the flag but in my experience you will get as much water bouncing off the flag onto the wood as might be absorbed through the base.

Yeh but it won't be sitting in water. And air will circulate so it can dry. Tanalised timber treated every couple of years should be fine shouldn't it?
You sure you're up to the joinery for this Custard?!? It's a pretty involved undertaking.
:shock:

I saw a video today on YouTube where someone painted the bottom of his fence posts with bitumin paint. Don’t know if you painted an inch or so up the leg of that would help?

I made outdoor benches, I put M8 stainless steel bolts in the bottom. not only stops them sitting in moisture but can be used to level them up.

All my outdoor furniture has bolt feet. No sign of rot after 2 years yet.

Attachments

• IMG_4309.JPG
    IMG_4309.JPG
    805.9 KB · Views: 297
Made some planters and used stainless bolts too. Figured the endgrain could do with "something" other than just paint and used pound-shop epoxy I had kicking around.

+1 for stainless scews

Our garden regularly floods during the winter and we have woodend structures that are now 14 years old.
I was told (i think it was on here) that as long as the timber has a chance to dry out it will take the soakings, it seems to be working

James

To mind I worry about sealing the ends as any moisure that gets in will be trapped by the sealing.

James

Yup +1 for stainless screws/bolts (two on each foot) to allow air to circulate underneath.

IME all timber - tanalised/treated or not - which cannot dry out properly (ie by being in direct contact with the ground) will rot, the only question is when.

Painting impermeable stuff on the bottom will trap moisture and accelerate rot.

Cheers, W2S

Hi,

My outdoor furniture has bolted feet and prevents rotting because of the air flow.
I'd bore 2 holes into the bottom of each leg of the plant stand and then use a hammer to tap a T-nut into each hole such as these: https://www.accu.co.uk/692-tee-t-nuts
Then thread a hex-head machine bolt into each T-nut. You can then add a hex nut which tightens up against the t nut to keep the adjustment on the bolt.

custard":2wsmew9z said:
Here's my question. How would you prevent the feet from rotting? It will sit on flagstones rather than soil, so I was thinking of a stainless steel screw in each foot to lift it above the moisture, but does anyone have any better ideas? Thanks
I'd just use European oak, or the slightly less durable American white oak, and not bother with any feet or protective treatments. Both are classed as durable and will give 20 - 25 years life if in contact with soil. Maybe the cost of the material is a consideration(?), and oak is relatively expensive, so maybe that's why you're asking. Slainte.

Sgian Dubh":30n3df1p said:
custard":30n3df1p said:
Here's my question. How would you prevent the feet from rotting? It will sit on flagstones rather than soil, so I was thinking of a stainless steel screw in each foot to lift it above the moisture, but does anyone have any better ideas? Thanks
I'd just use European oak, or the slightly less durable American white oak, and not bother with any feet or protective treatments. Both are classed as durable and will give 20 - 25 years life if in contact with soil. Maybe the cost of the material is a consideration(?), and oak is relatively expensive, so maybe that's why you're asking. Slainte.

May well last but will look horrendous if it sits in water or moisture. May well grey but the part wicking water will just go black.

Latest posts

Back