Outdoor finish to prevent cracks spreading

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodfield

Reaction score
I’ve made some toadstools from the branch of a fallen tree. There are already several splits in the wood and they’re going to live outside. What finishes do you recommend to prevent the cracks getting worse?

Ideally want something fairly natural looking. Not too shiny.

Attachments

• B9AFC8D5-8534-4171-A3BA-09ECA0132D0F.jpeg
    B9AFC8D5-8534-4171-A3BA-09ECA0132D0F.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 0
As above(y),you could spend a fortune on fancy finishes and while they may look nice and shiny they wont stop the wood cracking/splitting.

I’m surprised there is nothing that would help. Not even a wood glue or epoxy?

You can get these stretchy rubber devices from chemists and places. Not sure what they are called. Ask a shop girl next time you are in Boots. People use them on mobile phones in adverse conditions. I reckon they'd fit perfectly. How big are they? Hope that helps.

Last edited:
You can get these stretchy rubber devices from chemists and places. Not sure what they are called. Ask a shop girl next time you are in Boots. Condoms.

Sorry that was to good to miss, If your into mold making or know someone that is try some of the Silicon rubber liquid either dip or brush on and let it dry.
It should leave it looking natural and still protect.

Sorry that was to good to miss, If your into mold making or know someone that is try some of the Silicon rubber liquid either dip or brush on and let it dry.
It should leave it looking natural and still protect.
Handy to know if you can't get to the chemist!

As per others, I don't think any finish will stop cracks, as you need to physically restrain the movement. I think realistically it better to just accept splitting and cracking as part and parcel of the design. The only thing I could think to try would be the bowtie inserts that people use on tabletops with big splits, however the scale is going to make that very fiddly, as is the lack of a flat surface

You can get these stretchy rubber devices from chemists and places. Not sure what they are called. Ask a shop girl next time you are in Boots. People use them on mobile phones in adverse conditions. I reckon they'd fit perfectly. How big are they? Hope that helps.
I don’t think even the biggest Trojan would fit over these

Thanks for the advice everyone. Just slapped on some decking oil I had on the shelf and will learn to embrace the cracks

Attachments

• F349819F-1686-4B3C-9A86-114BA8DAC05C.jpeg
    F349819F-1686-4B3C-9A86-114BA8DAC05C.jpeg
    740.5 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back