Optical illusion or just plane butchery?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Building a coffee table, the frame is square and plumb yet when viewed head on the legs appear to tapper in towards the bottom any suggestions?

Attachments

• 16826773145078542265757618880944.jpg
    16826773145078542265757618880944.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
measure the 2 diagonals on each side - just in case the square is out
measure the width top and bottom
The width and length are spot on the diagonal is perfect on one side and 1mm out on the other side but this could be my measuring as using tape measure is making it difficult what sort of tollarance are we talking to cause this problem?

Provided the measurements and a square say its right then leave it. Remember perspective from school art. When the top is on then the eye will not be so drawn to it.
Regards
John

Provided the measurements and a square say its right then leave it. Remember perspective from school art. When the top is on then the eye will not be so drawn to it.
Regards
John
Thanks. yes I remember althoughit feelslike a lif time ago, I am not sure how I feel about going to the effort of making it true and square to then undo that effort. 😄

when i was a semi-pro photographer , you would see buildings tampering because of the angel of the lens - some cameras had a tilt function to compensate for this - i used photoshop to straighten when i took building landscapes

https://photographyskool.com/why-do...f tall buildings,to the cameras sensor plane.
you photo does not look square on - try taking the photo exactly square
I remember the train track example in art , its just the first thing I've made in wood other than stud walls and wood carvings

The pillars of the Parthenon have a built in taper so they look strait.
Regards
John
They don't have a 'taper' as such they are 'barrel' shaped - though the amount is slight so the effect is subtle.

With regard to the curvature of classic columns, the word you're searching for is "Entasis".
All vertical columns have it to a degree .......Without it, they would appear to the eye as vertical pipes.

The downward converging parallels on those table legs is a phenomenon within the camera, where the plane of the two rear legs is at an angle to the focal plane in the camera.
Again, there's a word for it.......called the Scheimpflug Effect.

The width and length are spot on the diagonal is perfect on one side and 1mm out on the other side but this could be my measuring as using tape measure is making it difficult what sort of tollarance are we talking to cause this problem?
Why are you using a tape measure, that's a builders tool for rough measurements mostly.
Furniture making techniques for your coffee table would be done with a rule and knife marks,
or not measured at all even, but four components planed to better tolerances instead.
You should be able feel within 1 thou of discrepancies. i.e...

The solution to this is having some hand planes for the job, and getting into a whole other realm of
refinement and precision which you couldn't get otherwise (without real expensive kit)

Have a look at the use of the shooting board, with someone skilled regarding the work,
like Rob Cosman for example.
He's as honest as you'll get regarding the work, (that's the important part)
but at the expense of interfiering sales pitches which some can't stand, that's his bag.

On the other end of the spectrum, there are a few prominent gurus on youtube who's income relies on keeping you as unskilled as is possible, but under the pretense of giving the answers,
or fooling you into thinking you already have the correct approach to things.
I won't mention who those guys are.

All the best anyway
Tom

Last edited:
We actually "see"in a way that is closer to curvilinear perspective, our brain "corrects" this to rectilinear perspective. Sometimes ( in some shots ) cameras point this out to us. Take a length of wood, hold it horizontal in front of you, parallel to you, or even lay it down on the ground or a table this way.The centre is near to you than the ends, how does one depict this using rectilinear perspective ? We "correct" lenses for "barrel distortion", when in fact that "distortion" is closer to the reality of the physics of the scene that is in front of the lens, than the version in our brains of "correct".

No matter how you hold the wood , no matter the angle , as long as it is parallel to your visual plane and you a centered in relation to it, , the ends will always be further from you than the centre. Applies to the entire universe outside of you.

Latest posts

Back