Help with keeping my sanity

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all been trying my first coffee table the slab is flat and square the frame not so , this will be my 3rd attempt 1 and 2 are now wood Ash for the garden,
The legs have a 10° rake on the front and should stand plumb the legs join to the apron with half laps. timber after joining and milling is left for a day stickerd and stacked then everything's cut using a jig for repeatable cuts everything fits flush with no gaps and looks good till glue up then it goes **** up , it's not the fact it goes wrong that's bothering me it's the fact I can't get my head around what's actually going wrong both times when released from the clamps the legs are out of plumb. Any advice would be appreciated greatly. Thanks

Yeah I probably should have thought about that before I fired up the wood burner, I am going to have another go tomorrow so before I glue it up I will take photos and post them here.

What's the clamp setup? How much force is required to get the joints to close? Do you do a trial clamping?
Brian

What's the clamp setup? How much force is required to get the joints to close? Do you do a trial clamping?
Brian
I do dry fit before glue up, I am using sash clamps for the top of the legs where they meet the apron across the frame to join the two sides and smaller bar clamps next to them to secure the rest of the half lap on each individual leg if that makes sense, so in total 4 sash clamps and four bar clamps ,hardly any force is used the joints close easily and get decent squeeze out

This is as tight as I have been getting the joints but still going wrong at the glue up, I will take more pictures once clamped up and see if it's my clamping method that's the problem.

Attachments

• 16825311371721160279957518034758.jpg
    16825311371721160279957518034758.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Back