Would a record 52 or 52 1/2 work on my workbench? Alternatives?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scubadoo

Established Member
Reaction score
Never had a workbench vice but after a recent project decided it was something i needed to add. I have a slightly unconventional bench, 90mm square legs with a 2x4 top frame that supports an 18mm MFT style top. I built it to aid in building my kitchen but it's proven to be solid as and heavy.

If i'm right these vices are either bolted through a thick benchtop or supported by and bolted through spacers? I just wonder how that would work if i want to renew the MDF top. Any advice or suggestions appreciated.

IMG_3205.JPG

IMG_3207.JPG

IMG_3208.JPG

Usually through the rail not the top.
If you want it recessed into the rail I'd double up the Rail to retain strength. .

Last edited:
I'm not planning to recess the rear plate. So i can fix through the rail, add spacers in the vertical gap and fix through the top and if i need to replace the top it's it's easy to do just by removing the vertical bolts?

They bolt through the top with either lag bolts from underneath or carriage bolted through for a more secure fix. Maybe some additional 4x2 flat to the underside of the MFT tops fixed into your 4x2 frame would allow it to work. They have a bit of weight to them and clamp with a fair bit of force so would need to be securely jointed or fixed in place

Mine's coach screwed to the underside of an old school bench, as I couldn't get the rear jaw cut back into the bench I planted a board across the front of the bench once the vice was in place.
I think a cross piece to support the back and that'd work for you

Just thought I'd post a conclusion to this. It was much easier to figure out once i actually had the vice.
Picked up a 52 1/2 from fleabay that was in good condition. All i had to do was degrease and then polish up the runners with some abrasive pads and lubricate. I fixed two 4x2's behind the front rail, bolted them all together and fixed at the sides with some hefty coach screws. Probably overkill but it's very sturdy.

I read a thread here where @paulm used a plank marked to the height of the bench to support the vice in place whilst fixing. That was genius and made the whole thing really easy. Thanks for the tips.

IMG_3274.JPG

IMG_3273.JPG

IMG_3275.JPG

IMG_3277.JPG

Last edited:
Back