Oooops!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnbaz

Established Member
Reaction score
Had five mins on this acoustic then leaned it against a cabinet for a minute to do something else then turned around and walked in to it, It went down on to a laminate floor!

K8i6wE7.jpg

GfqejWH.jpg

It's a fairly clean break so should glue and clamp up fine!

john :)

lol you could convert it into a headless guitar, it should glue back together just fine, although I'm not sure how you'd clamp it

johnbaz, bit of bad luck there​

What glue will you use ?
Clarinet for me, just dug it out after 20 odd years in the cupboard

Forgotten everything about music; I have until mid October to learn Happy Birthday when youngest g/daughter will be 2

You have a very short glueing surface there, so it might fail again. The solution is a backstrap, a 1.5 mm or so piece inlaid at the back of the neck to cover the joint by a couple of inches either side. For looks, run it all the way to the top of the peghead. Reshape the neck once the glue is dry and refinish.

Glue - Titebond Original or hot hide.

Clamping - make cauls to fit, and work out how to stop the joint sliding. A jig would help, second best is a few grains of sand or salt in the joint. If adding a backstrap I'd drill for locating pins, to be removed when the backstrap is added.

Agree with chris. I'd use TB 1 if you don't have a warm area for hide glue to hit good hardness.

Perfect gluing surface, so you don't need to go bonkers with clamp pressure once you close the joint.

I'd say there could be some tip somewhere like the OLF or FRETS.com regarding a strip of bicycle inner tube for clamping, worth a google.
I think it was Chris Schwarz who mentioned something along the lines of loosing two thirds of brain capacity once the gluing commences!

Be nice to have two similar ways to do it beforehand, just incase the dry run regarding the first method doesn't work.

Good luck
Tom

Wow, that was a poor choice of a piece of wood they used with the grain going through that way, it was made to fail, at least you do have a glue surface , sort of! .

Back