Only 300 more cuts to go

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finished!
The brass and ply cutouts are super-glued either side of a 12mm thick piece of acrylic and the base is made from 40mm square elm into which I set a strip of 6 multi-colour LED lights. The LEDs have RGB inputs so can be made to output just about any colour you like... I chose to set then on light blue but for some unknown reason (which I can't be bothered to investigate) the flash on my camera adds a distinctly purple tinge which isn't there to the naked eye.

Img_0196.jpg

Img_0198.jpg

Img_0218.jpg

Img_0214.jpg

Img_0219.jpg

The cat just drops into the slot on top of the LED strip and can be turned round so that either ply or brass is at the front.

Hope it inspires someone to have a go. It's taken forever to do but at least to my eye it's really unique and I'm delighted with the outcome. This one's a gift for my younger sister who's mad on cats of all kinds.

A short video describing it :-
[youtube]WfDgPGfF5Vw[/youtube]

Col.

Attachments

• Img_0214.jpg
    Img_0214.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 806
  • Img_0219.jpg
    Img_0219.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 806
  • Img_0218.jpg
    Img_0218.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 806
  • Img_0196.jpg
    Img_0196.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 806
  • Img_0198.jpg
    Img_0198.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 806
love it Colin! any chance of a shot with the room lights turned off so we can see how bright the leds are?
Brian
Ps Our roof has gone today! 12ft of it so roofer is hoping to call tomorrow if possible, its the 3rd time that bit has been damaged and we thought it was sorted but obviously not.

Without the light on.
Img_0228.jpg
Img_0227.jpg

Sorry they're not particularly clear shots in darkness, my camera was having a spot of bother focusing so I had to leave the light on in the room next door.

Attachments

• Img_0228.jpg
    Img_0228.jpg
    239 KB · Views: 796
  • Img_0227.jpg
    Img_0227.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 796
Saint Col lol love it! its got a certain ring to it Colin........... I can just see pilgrims heading to "Holy Walney Island" to get a glimpse of ya :cool:
Ps I will tell "Take a Break" magazine I cut into a block of wood and found an image of St Col,, should get me £250 for story of the month lol
Cheers
Brian

Claymore":2h3wnu4t said:
I can just see pilgrims heading to "Holy Walney Island" to get a glimpse of ya :cool:

Hahaha. With a little bit of luck we'll have moved back to God's own county before the pilgrims catch up with us. I've got a great grandson I haven't even seen yet and the drive home crucifies me nowadays so we've been looking at bungalows with garage workshops ever since christmas.

Col.

nice bit of work there chief.

whats your next plan? how about just out of acrylic without the backing? the edges will light up then. or how about something with a few less cuts? :D

Back