One Small Step for....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Chas,

Again you produce very nice looking pieces, I love that grain you found making the Red dust. :D

Thanks Chas, it kinda makes me wonder why I spend days putting a finish on!

One of the best products to final burnish your pieces with is free! A paper sack from the grocery store ... supposed to be equivilent to 2500 grit.

Try a tung or danish oil finish when you get a chance. It takes longer but can be very nice.

A heavy coat of oil applied with a kitchen (paper) towell. Keep surface wet until it won't take any more. Let sit for 15 min or so. Friction wipe all off until surface is dry to the touch. Leave dry overnight and buff with whatever you have. You can wax over this if you want to.

I usually follow something like this four times on pieces that need to survive handling.

Takes longer but it is a much more permanent finish.

Tom

DaveL":3lxqm2ku said:
Chas,

Again you produce very nice looking pieces, I love that grain you found making the Red dust. :D

I think this comes from our decision to purchase wood in slab form where possible as we deliberately look out for so called "Second Quality" timber. Not just because of reduced cost, but because we prefer to have the colour variations found in heart/sapwood and the imperfections of grain that may look out of place in a piece of furniture enhance a turned piece in our eyes.

DSC01194.JPG

How this defect formed in the tree for instance, adds to the interest of the piece I feel.

CHJ":2wcpay27 said:
How this defect formed in the tree for instance, adds to the interest of the piece I feel.

I agree, it was that pattern in the first pictures that caught my eye, I wonder what happened to the tree to produce that offset line?

Had a "Mixed dust" day today;

click on images for larger view

_______Zebrano (110mm)_____Cedar of Lebanon (250mm)

_______Pau Rosa ______________ (130mm)

The Zebrano was just an exercise in the ridiculous really, just a worm ridden and rotten offcut that refused to go in the burning bin. :oops: Improved my filling and stabilizing technique with the CA glue and sanding dust though.

Before the Rugby:
click on image for larger view

Pau Rosa (150mm)

During the Rugby: :eek:ccasion5:

After the Rugby:
[-X [-X Think I'd better forget round spinney things 'till the morning.

One less Offcut:

Spalted Beech (112mm)

I was beginning to worry where you'd got to...

then I realised, must have taken a day or two to recycle the murph cans :lol:

oldsoke":4e6u5a1r said:
I was beginning to worry where you'd got to...

then I realised, must have taken a day or two to recycle the murph cans :lol:

A day out to the Welsh hills and valleys and a quick call into ToolLite in Mitcheldean :tool: on route. Trend face Shield finally looking refreshed after purchase of refurb' kit, and a couple of other things earmarked for next time I'm passing.

Small matter of replacing TV aerial, (hammer) funny how much higher the mast seemed than when the last one was put up 20 yrs ago.

Oh and LOML found one or two other projects warranting my attention instead of sending me up to the shed out of the way.

Car service tomorrow will shorten the turning time but I have been informed a couple of items are required for Friday as birthday gifts, as if there is no choice available in the store room already :roll: .

Good to see that you're still well organised...

by the boss :p

(btw nearly went into the workshop after I'd finished the ironing :roll: )

Two more emerge from the offcut bin;
____Ovangkol (162mm)__________Pau Rosa (112mm)

Nearly did not play in the shed this afternoon, got home lunchtime to find e-mail to the effect that I could disconnect the wet string and surf in ernest. :eek:ccasion5: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Look what just arrived in the post: :shock: :eek:ccasion4: =D> =D>

Ancient Kauri Blanks from New Zealand.

I guess there is going to be some thought into what we do with the shavings from these pieces, can't just burn 30,000+ year old trash can you.

Red Dust Day Again:

______Pau Rosa_________________(175mm dia.)

A couple more offcuts get used up:

_Sycamore & Purple Heart__________(140mm dia.)

Oldflyer2":3pyra6ny said:
Nice combination or wood Chas. I like the shape as well. You certainly are keeping up your production rate.

Tom

I kind of like the shape as well something about the simplicity of the lines, lids take a little more time due to need to get fit correct, already got a "can you do a few more similar to that" comment from production manager (LOML)
No wood play today, garage had major part of raincoat fitted.

Have managed to turn up a couple of sets of new tapered plastic buttons (old chopping board) on the metal lathe for my cole jaws.

On the lid front I can see the metal lathe with its vernier slides being used for the register rebates in future.
Hand skill I do not mind developing but unnecessary frustration from excess material removal I can live without.

Two more on a similar theme:

___Pau Rosa and Birch ___________(100mm dia.)

Three more little jobs out of the way:

Sycamore & Pau Rosa, Hazel and Sycamore
___100mm--- 110mm---140mm___________

Some more oddments find their way from the offcut bin to the Dinning Room store:

Birch & Pau Rosa, 105 - 130mm

Something a little bigger today:

Canadian Walnut, 320 mm dia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back