One Small Step for....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
DaveL":261iekd2 said:
Chas,

They are very nice. :D

Rather pleased with the result myself, one has already gone to chippy neighbor across the road who presented me with two slab offcuts last week.
Now have to do something with the offcuts of the offcuts if you see what I mean, not allowed to store any more on the basis that "If you just did something with them straight away you would not need to hoard them"

Can't really argue with the logic (and after 46 yrs I wouldn't dare)

Canadian walnut? That interesting - how d'you know? Does it have maple leaves...? (Partially a serious question in there, honest :lol:). And very nice, Chas, but I'm still waiting for you to get out of the comfort zone. Go on, mate, shoot for paper thin or summat; bet you could do it. :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Alf":3h1wvo21 said:
Canadian walnut? That interesting - how d'you know? Does it have maple leaves...? (Partially a serious question in there, honest :lol:).

Wondered about that myself but the donor named it, I presume it was bought in for a contract he was involved in. It is more open pored than the sample of English Walnut I have.

Alf":3h1wvo21 said:
.... but I'm still waiting for you to get out of the comfort zone. Go on, mate, shoot for paper thin or summat; bet you could do it. :wink:
Cheers, Alf

Guess I will have to go looking for some more Green Hazel or Beech then, the Hazel was the thinnest so far (2mm) but it was so dry after my meths soak that I was afraid of it shattering.

Chas - all very nice,but your workrate still amazes me :shock:

And all very nicely finished as well :D

Andrew

PowerTool":39rg1n0a said:
Chas - all very nice,but your workrate still amazes me :shock:

And all very nicely finished as well :D

Andrew

All about working method really. Have got into a routine with tools and finishing materials so everything is to hand. Walnut dishes today; Blanks cut and drilled for mounting about 10.30, one dish before lunch the other either side of afternoon Rugby match was quicker because no learning curve, although a couple of Knot cracks had to be repaired.
Then cleanup and stow before tea so that everything is ready for next session.

Finishing on those was just oil so not fully dried on second one yet.
Sanding mainly to get rid of rough grain feathers (some by hand) and only down to 320 grit.

"What are you doing today?"

I had thought of getting rid of those little Walnut bits on the work bench.

Well I would like something 'That sort of Shape'out of this piece of Sycamore.

And something similar to 'That one' out of this Alder.

OK Dear :roll: Your wish is my command 8)

(hammer) (hammer) (hammer)

click on images for larger view
__Spalted Sycamore(290mm)_____Spalted Alder(245mm)

By the way that second item is No.200 off the "Spinney Things Machine"
As I said somewhere else down the line I think I'm addicted to this Wood Spinning Lark.

Getting closer Alf, if not bigger. click on images for larger view

Green Hazel 50 mm High 0.037mm thick on bowl (0.0015 in)

OK Alf, a little bigger this time :)

Green Hazel (110mm Dia. X 90 mm High)

A warm sunny day in the office:

_Concola Alves (170 mm)__________Elm (260 mm)__________ Cherry (270 mm)

A wet day but shirt sleeve temp in the shed:

Pau Amarelo - Pau Rosa(112 mm)

_Beech (270 mm)______________ :?: Beech

The person who gave me this (originally 75mm thick) named it as Spalted Maple. Whatever it is, it was more than a little spalted.(ie.half rotten)
I think it is Beech.
Managed to salvage this platter but it has an "interesting surface" to say the least on the base, the wood was so variable in density.

Thought I had better produce something else as it's been 4 days since I last completed an item and I know Radon Girl needs inspiration.

Yes, it's beech.

Slower than a sloth in treacle, less powerful that a flat battery, able to leap to large conclusions on no data at all.
Is it a bird? Well, yeah. <bats eyelashes>
Is it a plane? Yes - in my hand.
It's Radon Girl.
superhero.gif

:roll: :lol:

Two more trial pieces with Melamine Finish:

Cocobola & Sycamore (140mm)____ Yew (147mm)

Burnished but not waxed.

Not as easy as it looks Terry :lol: on things this shape, still some buildup streaks if you look close, will try more dilution next time.

Need to sort out more intense portable lighting source to show internal cut back streaks not fully burnished whilst still in chuck.

Chas
I reckon dilution is the answer but did u use OOO/OOOO wire wool?

I find this, used carefully, will usually eliminate the 'streaks'

I was using some of the Chestnut sealer ( previously diluted) that had been standing for several months... didn't account for the evaporation of the thinners and ended up with streaks! A splosh of thinnner soon sorted it :D

Chestnut's melamine certainly gives a durable and acceptable finish... particularly when burnished with a little of their wax stick!

oldsoke":3vy34a97 said:
Chas
I reckon dilution is the answer but did u use OOO/OOOO wire wool? I find this, used carefully, will usually eliminate the 'streaks'

Not used wirewool yet Graham, used grey webrax? just to take it down, was worried about removing too much, only one or two partial circumferential lines were visible when it dried. Being critical I can see one or two minor tramlines if I look at it in differing light aspects especially on the inside of the enclosed pot.

Will acquire some wirewool and see how I get on with it.
Of course if I practice enough I should not need it :oops:

Chas, be just a little careful with wire wool (you probably know about its flammability)

Wrap it carefully so as not to expose the cut ends... pieces can break off into the skin... worse, they can break off into the wood... chances of getting them out? about nil!

Always apply it very lightly...

oldsoke":3u2lk9ks said:
Chas, be just a little careful with wire wool (you probably know about its flammability)

Wrap it carefully so as not to expose the cut ends... pieces can break off into the skin... worse, they can break off into the wood... chances of getting them out? about nil!

Always apply it very lightly...

The two prime reasons that there is not any in my workshop of any grade at the moment Graham. Fire risk when associated with oils and ferrous contamination. Legacy of two things to be strictly avoided when dealing with exotic alloys in the aircraft industry. That and Emery Paper 'corundum- iron spinel' were persona no grata where aluminium alloys were concerned.

I am deliberately going to 'load' a piece of wood tomorrow if I get chance and experiment with various oxide papers to see how much cut back it will take and still burnish back up.

With all the care in the world I can see problems with the 'join' from time to time when trying to finish a piece 360 deg. even if I improve my technique on the planer bits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back