One Small Step for....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Chas, did I mention that we're spending June in France... :lol:

Yesterday the Pair; today the Spare:

_____ ___click on image for larger view
__________ Ash (138mm high)

oldsoke":306l5x0f said:
Chas, did I mention that we're spending June in France... :lol:

Not much Chance of 'Turning output' if you are in France; I shall think of you two just swanning around.
No doubt I will be more than occupied on DIY tasks. I know the Garage and Workshop complex needs major roof work done and the Arbeitszimmer needs a new roof covering, seems it's my year for roofs.

CHJ":1zkvvms9 said:
The left hand one caught me out for a few minutes chasing what I thought were tool bruises, only to discover that they are a feature of the piece of wood and go right through.

If you look carefully at the right hand the growth rings look they have a 3d hole going through the side of the goblet.

Edit: Looking at the pic again the left hand one does too.Also both goblets have a sort of halo beneath each one - I know it's probably to do with the picture and not the gobles but it' still lovely to look at.

Stunning!

Now if those were made in the middle ages Chas would be burned at the stake for tuning "possessed" work. :wink:

Neomorph":1efakldd said:
...snip...Also both goblets have a sort of halo beneath each one - I know it's probably to do with the picture and not the gobles but it' still lovely to look at.
...snip...

Down to poor lighting/positioning of the subject I'm afraid, casting shadow on back cloth in this instance.
Have been known to make Flying Bowls in the past for similar reason.

Home Spalted Birch:

Freshly felled Small log left on woodland floor for a couple of weeks last autumn in water sodden state started to show fungi growth.
Recovered to home and placed in plastic bag to slow down moisture loss in warmish conditions and fungi/moulds continued to form on bark and cut ends.
Lots of water loss into bag which was emptied every day or so.
Five months on, log was splitting and looked like a no go project so took out of bag and let dry off in free air.

This is the resultant wood, albeit only small sections usable due to log splits.

__ click on image for larger view
______Spalted Birch(95mm)

And a couple of Cedar pieces just to round off the day:

__ click on images for larger view

_____Cedar of Lebanon________________(130mm)___________ Cedar of Lebanon (142mm)

CHJ, beautiful contrasting colours on this spalted birch. Shame there wasn't more of it left!...Great find,well matured.

Regards,

Richard.

A couple more, this time in Sycamore:

__ ___click on image for larger view
____Sycamore (138mm high)

Locally Harvested and Spalted Ash:

__________(165mm)__________________(155mm)________________ (175mm)

Cedar of Lebanon:

________(140mm)__________________(130mm)

waterhead37":2byzorf7 said:
Chas,
Love the ash - looks spectacular!

A lucky find, was told to pick whatever I wanted from a pile ready for firewood logging, have maybe enough for 5-6 more out of this branch, have another 1.2 mtr length besides this but not checked it for marking yet. It has been growing a Black Fungi on its ends all winter.

Shame is about 1/2 ton of similar may have been burnt by now.
DSC01398.JPG
DSC01399.JPG
DSC01400.JPG

Chas,

Very nice indeed. Never come across spalted Ash before, but it is stunning. I particularly like the design of the middle of the three bowls - might have a go at something similar next time I get near the lathe.

Regards

Gary

Taffy Turner":2gsn366d said:
Chas,

Very nice indeed. Never come across spalted Ash before, but it is stunning. I particularly like the design of the middle of the three bowls - might have a go at something similar next time I get near the lathe.

Regards

Gary

The 'middle one' was one of those "what can I do with this bit without making too much dross" so it got the minimum of bark removal etc.
I have visitor in mind who will probably spend an hour or two just fondling it whilst we have a natter, suspect it will be residing in Worcester soon after she leaves.

____ Been in the shed again:

__ __ click on images for larger view

__Cedar of Lebanon (160mm high)___Spalted Ash (150mm)

treefella83":hn086p8m said:
is there something special you all are doing to get these high quality pics? as mine always look too dark or too bright

These are nearly all simple shots using a 2 mpixel video camera in still mode. The resolution is quite low by todays standards if you compare them with a dedicated stills camera.

It would appear that your camera cannot cope with low light situations and is having difficulty in focusing correctly as well as exposing correctly.

If you have flash then try taking shots in as much natural light as possible and with the flash firing as well which gives methis sort of result. but may well suit your camera better, you can compare this with the previous one which was natural light only.

What sort of results do you get if you take a group shot or scenic view?

Is your camera designed to focus as close as you are positioning it? if not then this may well be distorting the exposure system.

my camera does take great scenic pics but does have the option to take pics from 30cm away using a macro switch but the camera just doesn't seem to be able to focus on a single object.
thankyou for your help as it all seems a bit high tec for me .
cheers

treefella83":27nk3utx said:
my camera does take great scenic pics but does have the option to take pics from 30cm away using a macro switch but the camera just doesn't seem to be able to focus on a single object.
thankyou for your help as it all seems a bit high tec for me .
cheers

30cm is a bit too close for subjects such as your turnings, also the lens configuration may be very inefficient at capturing the light when set thus.

As someone else has said elsewhere try putting your subject in front of a draped even coloured cloth that is not too distant from its rear face, that way if the camera averages the focus between the background and the subject they should both be in focus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back