One Small Step for....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
oldsoke":2iecf0g1 said:
Chas... yew....luvly... it has to be one of me favourites... so forgiving and beautiful... stays pretty stable once dried

Dis u see alf's link to a log sled for the bandsaw?

Hi, does any one know where this log sled was posted on the forum?

Thanks,

Dicky Mint

Salad for Tea, whats happend to those dishes you were going to make :?:

click on image for larger view
Steamed Beech (180mm dia.)

The things one has to do to get a bite to eat. :roll: (hammer)

Chas, i thought you knew that there's no such thing as a free lunch :p :p

:) Don't I know it Graham, since LOML has cottoned on to the fact that it is considerably cheaper to purchase complete slabs of wood rather than pre-cut blanks, routine projects now get divided into a 1-2 for me and 4-6 for hobby support senario.

Sunny hour in the workshop this morning.
click on images for larger view
Ovangkol Dish (312mm dia.)

And another play this afternoon.

Ash Plate (310mm dia.)

Hers or yours ? :?

At this rate of production Chas, you must be getting close to having an impact on the environment... :p :p :p :p

oldsoke":53ev7jfy said:
Hers or yours ? :?

I'm still in sole charge of the spinning end of things Graham, Di just manages with various hats; quality control :has passed the shape of the first and asked for some repeats to prove it was not a fluke, production control: has informed me that the plate will do as a mate to a cheese board the purchasing manager: has pointed out that her wood selection was correct following the transport managers: decision for a day out to include a certain location in Somerset. (hammer) (hammer)

oldsoke":53ev7jfy said:
At this rate of production Chas, you must be getting close to having an impact on the environment... :p :p :p :p
Certainly doing nothing for the sale of china tableware in this households circle of contacts.

Amazing what you can produce in a couple of hours if you get yourself a decent working routine. Regular systematic Shop cleanup and tool control after a session seems to be the greatest benefit. I learned something at least whilst working (sorry for the use of an expletive)for a living.

Must get round to doing some decorative pieces one of these days, Duiker's exhibition stuff puts me to shame.

Something a little more decorative; complete with Bark inclusions, Spalting and the odd redundant Creature Domicile.

_______Exeter Elm___________Ulmus glabra 'Fastigiata'________ (220mm x 100mm)

Another piece of Elm which proved to be quite a challenge.
The soft bark inclusions went right through to the centre and forced me to tackle it in stages as I alternately bonded the bark with CA glue and filled the larger voids.
Base somewhat wider than I would have preferred but that too has bark inclusions and any smaller diameter would have resulted in nil support.

_______Exeter Elm_________________(220mm x 105mm)

Now need to spend the evening cleaning out the surplus wax from the occlusions with a tooth pick.

Another piece of wood with a mind of it's own, but as you do not know what shape it was intended to be I guess it does not matter.

click on image for larger view

Yew (165mm dia.)

All I will disclose is that there were some significant blue woods in the shed when it was taken off the chuck for remounting and in the few minutes I took to clear some of the debris, it proceeded to tap out a rhythm on the bench as the nicely turned base did the splits.

Lovely work, Chas!
That cracking noise is heartbreaking, isn't it?
I once turned a 10 inch bowl in green beech. Came out amazingly well (for me!) and was as careful as I could be to dry it out slowly. Brought it in the house and had lots of nice comments on it. While sat watching the telly a little later there was a cracking noise-before my eyes it grew from a little crack to a bigger crack. And kept slowly going until the whole bowl fell apart in two pieces :roll:
Kinda gave up on turning larger gree pieces after that!
Keep up the good work,
Philly :D

Commiserations Philly, so far green beech with a meths soak has been OK for me. I am currently fighting some green Cherry, trying to see if I can rough turn and dry without the splits. So far it is 50/50 so I guess that the logs are going to be a few more years in the shed drying. Expect to see some vases with 'Artistic Inserts' in them in the near future. Argee did warn me about Cherry, must learn more about wood structure to understand why it's so un co-operative.

My only life experience of Cherry is that you never put a ladder up to pick fruit without it being positioned to fall into the centre of the tree, soundly reinforced by the knowledge that a branch loaded with fruit is not guarantied to hold the weight of a 6-7 year old placed there to have his fill. (the payment for getting a half a dozen cows back where they belonged)

Just as I started turning last year I was shown a large 450 mm bowl by a gentleman in the Valleys that he had turned from what he had been assured was a dry subject. It had opened up like a peeled orange, it was due to be rescued by his son who was going to work the edges with pyrography and blend them into a scene.

I see you are still at it Chas ... must be nice to live in a country with trees!

I am still trying to figure out how to turn stuble and sagebrush into something usefull.

Tom

Oldflyer2":36msfgpw said:
I see you are still at it Chas ... must be nice to live in a country with trees!

I am still trying to figure out how to turn stuble and sagebrush into something usefull.

Tom

Well Tom, you are a chippy, how about a new line in sweet smelling chip/straw board. You know what they say, one mans waste is another mans fortune :lol:

Wood Store Manager said it was about time that some of the offcuts were sorted: (dinning room is a little cluttered)

Zebrano (200mm dia.)

Still requires a bit of hand finishing of dust and wax in the occlusions but that can be done whilst watching the box.

Edit:
Another offcut bites the dust this afternoon.

Spalted Beech (240mm dia.)

Hang on a mo: there are now four more smaller offcuts, how did that happen :shock:

Had a "Red dust" day today;

_______Pau Rosa ______________(160mm)

_______Pau Rosa ______________(120mm)

Oldflyer2":2eoi3393 said:
Nice work as usual Chas.

What are you using for a finish? At the rate you are turning these pieces out it must be a fairly quick process.

Tom

Thanks, getting better, well more able to get over the little problems that wood seems adept at throwing at you anyway.

Finish in the main just cellulose sanding sealer and Chestnut woodwax22.

A matter of 1-2 minutes at the most to finish.

Can lose gloss if handled regularly but a quick buff with a soft cloth brings it back.

For the trinket boxes or anything that recipient indicates will get a little more in the way of knocks and handling I use cellulose sanding sealer followed by Chestnut Melamine sealer. I need to get some burnishing cream for the melamine next time I see Terry, getting a perfect run free finish is a little harder to achieve and I have to currently apply a little wax after I have cut it back with 320 grit when I have blemishes.

Wet food, bowls and plates (salad etc.) I use oil.

Intend to have a go at burnishing oil finishes but funds currently been diverted to other things so a set of mops and goo are on hold for a few weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back