One Small Step for....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
trevtheturner":18z7mu1t said:
'Tis not much good empty though, Chas :roll: :lol: :lol:

Fill her up! :wink:

Cheers,

Trev.

Seeing as you insist Trevor, although it is a little early in the day for me. :whistle:
But with the Rugby just starting I might force it down instead of my usual Boddies:
click on image for larger view

Smashing work Chas. I love seeing your turnings... keep them coming!

ctb":19nb52q3 said:
Aahh an Islay, a very fine choice indeed, have you tried the Ardbeg.
Not as yet, I have some Laphroig (Same distillery manager I believe).
I stock up on my sprits as I travel in Germany/France, wherever the price is is a little more pension friendly, so specifics/limited availabilty 17 year olds are hard to find.
We usually manage a 'Trial extravigance' when in Dumfries area but drinking partners are not 'Islay' inclined.

Chocolate Ripple: click on image for larger view

Chestnut, (190mm dia)

Chas, nice idea to use the mirror. Lovely piece.

Going back to your whisky goblet. Does the cedar of lebanon not taint the whisky somewhat?

Andy

dedee":n5piy2w7 said:
Chas, nice idea to use the mirror. Lovely piece.
Thanks, the production manager picked the wood and style, I just butchered it. Can't claim original idea on mirror, seen it used elsewhere.
dedee":n5piy2w7 said:
Going back to your whisky goblet. Does the cedar of lebanon not taint the whisky somewhat?
Andy
Funnily enough this Cedar of Lebanon has very little 'aroma', certainly not evident when dried. It was sealed with Chestnuts melamine sealer (3 coats on top of sanding sealer and no sign of wetting the wood)

The wood comes from a two+ year old wood pile, the result of a 'small' 600mm+ dia. branch falling victim to a storm.

click on images for larger view

Hazel, Turned from the same batch of 'Meths' dried blanks as item below which was turned on the 19 Nov. but has been further dried in centrally heated room at less than 50% humidity. Hard as nails and really difficult to cut without sharp tools and just the right angle of approach.

These blanks (12mm walls) each lost in excess of 250 grams of moisture in less than 20 days.

they all look amazing

have you ever tryed turning a wet peice of wood then letting it warp/cup ?

i saw that effect on a video and it looked really good :D

Jez":3qxajqo9 said:
they all look amazing

have you ever tryed turning a wet peice of wood then letting it warp/cup ?

i saw that effect on a video and it looked really good :D

Not tried any of that sort of artistic stuff yet, not sure how I feel about something that looks like it has 'Gone Wrong', am still trying to get things to stay in a 'predictable outcome' zone.

I don't understand how a badly constructed recycled wood shed can win a prestigious prize either for that matter, so what do I know.

Please pardon the intrusion. I am new to this forum and have been reading a lot of the postings.

I see several references to soaking in "Meths". Are you refereing to methylated Spirits?

A lot of turners here in Canada and in the US are using Denatured alchohol. Is this a similar process?

The results are stunning to say the least.

Tom in Red Deer

Hi Duiker,

I know a bit about the process.

Rough turn wet wood, soak it in denatured alchohol for 24 to 48 hrs. Take it out and drip dry for a few hours. Then you wrap it in brown paper (paper grocery sack) and leave it for about two weeks. It should then be dry enough to turn and there should be little or no cracking or warping.

Here in Canada, denatured alchohol is both expensive and hard to find. I do not live close to the border so going to the US for it is not worth it.

If the lads in the UK are using Methylated Spirits with success then I might give it a go. You usually need up to 5 gallons depending on the size of the blank.

That is the theory anyhow.

Tom

Hi Tom,

FIVE GALLONS! For one piece! That seems a whole load of spirit for one piece! I think I'll let nature take it's course.
Since posting this I did find another thread in the Turning forum (title gives it away) relating to this too. Give it a read.

Cheers and "welcome to the forum", (my wife is from Quebec so no Canadian gags ;-)

Mick

Hi Mick,

Thanks for the welcome. I see some very nice pieces here in the gallery so I am sure I can learn a lot.

Wife is from Quebec ... eh.

Not much I can say as I imported a lass from North Yorkshire! Even her mother says that was my biggest mistake!

Oh well, at least I get some decent beer once a year on my holiday.

Tom

Oldflyer2":25fg3aq7 said:
Please pardon the intrusion. I am new to this forum and have been reading a lot of the postings.

I see several references to soaking in "Meths". Are you refereing to methylated Spirits?

A lot of turners here in Canada and in the US are using Denatured alchohol. Is this a similar process?

The results are stunning to say the least.

Tom in Red Deer

Yes one and the same process, denatured alcohol is not obtainable by the general public in the UK, a customs and excise licence is required and is generally only available to manufacturing companies who are subject to strict controls on it's product inclusion etc.

Methylated Spirit is ethyl alcohol denatured with methyl alcohol to prevent it's use as an alcoholic beverage, it usually also carries a purple dye to further discourage consumption.

This article describes the process David Smith

I find that part turned green blanks up to half inch in thickness require only two to three hours in the brew.

I have never had to use more than 5 litres (1-1/4 gal?) they dry out in approx 18-20 days. in centrally heated room.

Sorry for late reply to thread and inclusion of answers to other posts, have had long weekend away from the computer.

Hi there,

Thanks for the reply. The five gallon part was from a lad that does vases 12 to 14in tall. Like you say, a few litres would do most of us.

I am familiar with Dave Smiths research. Denatured alchohol is just hard to come by and expensive. The alternative is much cheaper and easier to find. Since I do very little turning with wet wood, I haven't bothered so far. I'll have to give it a go now.

Thanks,
Tom

Oldflyer2":2b1h3p19 said:
Hi there,

Thanks for the reply. The five gallon part was from a lad that does vases 12 to 14in tall. Like you say, a few litres would do most of us.

I am familiar with Dave Smiths research. Denatured alchohol is just hard to come by and expensive. The alternative is much cheaper and easier to find. Since I do very little turning with wet wood, I haven't bothered so far. I'll have to give it a go now.

Thanks,
Tom

The trick with large items seems to be as Dave Smith says, put it in a robust polythene bag and nest it in shavings so that it takes minimal alcohol to cover it, don't know where the shavings are obtainable from though :wink:

Have you ever noticed that almost every photo you see of someones shop , there is not a shaving in sight! For some it seems it would be a problem to fill a bag.

At the moment, my shop/garage has about 4inches of shavings on almost the entire floor. The machines share it with the car in winter. One snow covered car in a heated garage equals lots of water. The shavings soak it up. It gets constantly changed all winter, wet for dry.

We have had a very mild winter here so far with little snow so it is not a large problem.

Next time I do a wet turning I am definately going to try that method.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back