One Small Step for....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Another piece of Home Cured Hazel: click on image for larger view

In future I will endeavor to finish turn any Green Hazel I get before it reaches full dryness. It is now very hard and brittle and shows a tendency to crack readily along radial lines if too much tool loading is applied.

The item turned on 19th of November at the point when it had stopped loosing moisture in a cool conservatory turned much easier, although it did move more whilst working.

Hi Chas,

Another good result I see.

These questions have likely been asked a dozen times.

What do you used for a finish? Looked in your album ... very nice indeed.

Also, you made some cheeze plates earlier ... where did you get the stone part?

Thanks

Tom

Oldflyer2":bcolxp8w said:
Hi Chas,

Another good result I see.
We aim to keep up the reputation, heaven knows it needs supporting.

These questions have likely been asked a dozen times.
No problem life is full of repeat performances.

What do you used for a finish? Looked in your album ... very nice indeed.
In the main just cellulose sanding sealer and soft wax (Woodwax22), Plates and bowls intended for contact with cheese or wet salads I use Finishing oil (a blend of Tung and other oils and a food safe oil) This does mean that sliced tomatoes etc. will mark them but at least they do not absorb a great deal of moisture.
On trinket boxes etc that may be subjected to abrasion knocks etc. I use a melamine lacquer.
All from Chestnut

Also, you made some cheeze plates earlier ... where did you get the stone part?
This is the type of thing I use, the green at least is sourced in Tiwan, mine did not come from this particular supplier but fromYandles (they don’ t have pic.) and were a little cheaper, but are available in several sources.

Thanks
Tom
You are welcome, I hope the above points you to the equivalents in your neck of the woods.

Hi Chas, thanks for the answers.

Is it permissable for me to post a link to my website here? That is the easiest way for me to show a sample of the things I make.

There is no advertising there, but I do sell some of my pieces from time to time.

Tom

Oldflyer2":3py580fv said:
Is it permissable for me to post a link to my website here?
Help yourself, Tom. Feel free to put a link to it in your profile too. :) Oh, and welcome to the forum, btw.

Cheers, Alf

Oldflyer2":2aiux8bq said:
Thanks for the welcome Alf,

This is a sample of what I turn. The site is a mess and needs a lot of attention.. soon :oops:

http://www.turningsinminiature.ca/myweb/

I hope the turnings pass your high standards.

Tom

Well Tom, they say all good things come in small packages and those are no exception, to attempt to match those I would need a whole new set of spectacles to start off the tool kit.

No doubt Old Soak (graham) will be along shortly to hold forth on things miniature with you.

Hi Chas,

Actually Graham has some of my pieces, and I have some of his that he turned for me in October.

On our UK holiday this year we visited some of the wifes long lost friends in Peterborough and I had the chance to spend a few short hours (far too few) with Graham and his lovely wife.

Graham was happy to demonstrate his"speed demon" approach to turning.

Tom

No doubt Old Soak (graham) will be along shortly to hold forth on things miniature with you.

Now then Chas, just cos I brought umptynine litres of the red medicine back from a recent trip to France, there's no need to get personal :lol:

:shock:
"speed demon"
that's about right... too old and decrepit to ride me motorbike I have to get the thrills in other ways :wink:

No speculation please 8)

Graham
aka OldSoke (Old Soak)

oldsoke":3q6cjz10 said:

Now then Chas, just cos I brought umptynine litres of the red medicine back from a recent trip to France, there's no need to get personal :lol:

:shock:
"speed demon"
that's about right... too old and decrepit to ride me motorbike I have to get the thrills in other ways :wink:

No speculation please 8)

Graham
aka OldSoke (Old Soak)

Just a slip of the keyboard, Honest; Graham. :oops: (could have sworn that I amended the preview... must be the whi.... checked the Gallery as well... must be getting old.... mutter... mutter...)

Why No Speculation :!: I find that is a significant part of the pleasure in the build up to the anticipation. After all Xmass is a coming :wink: .

Oldflyer2":12vehbiy said:
Hi Chas,

Nice turnings as usual ... do I detect a venture into the realm of the "little" people?

Tom

I do have a friend who keeps on about 1:12 scale items, she paints in oils at that scale.
Thought I would try my hand, somewhat further to go on the reduction front yet, need to get a few more of my bits of silver steel out of the scrap box and make a few scrapers etc., working with modified old screwdriver bits at the moment for the inner undercuts.
Takes nearly as long as a full sized bowl :shock:

Hi Chas,

I know what you mean about the little guys taking time to make. The wee lamps I make take six to eight hours. The lampshades are turned from a solid piece of wood to less than 1/16 in (not many mil's) thickness. It takes about 1 1/2 hrs to make a shade and if it is going to go "poof" it will only do it in the last two or three minutes! I hate it when that happens!

Tom

As you know, Tom, those mini bobbins take hours to make :wink:

Well, I watched you make the one I have. I know it can be done. You used no magnification of any kind. Do you think I can make one of those little pippers?(oops ... outside voice!)

I have tried 5 times now ... nothing but dust! I didn't mention it before as you were the teacher :oops: I will try again when my shoulder is better. I will ... I will.

By the way, I did do one of those captive ring goblets you showed me ... at breakneck speed :p ... the ring survived! The goblet died a viscious death. :cry:

Yup, mini's are sure fun :p

Tom

Back with the "Round Spinney Things" again: click on image for larger view

A bit of Hazel that has got rid of a Meths hangover over the holidays.
This was a follow-on to this mornings session turning some Green Cherry blanks for the Meths tub, fingers crossed that they behave themselves.

Have you thought about getting one of these to use with your photographs.

lightbox.jpg

Place a couple (or more) angle poise lamps on either side for lighting. The 'soft box' diffuses the light and if done correctly should remove harsh shadows and give more even light. Especially useful if you want to show off your excellent work in a portfolio to customers.

Just a thought, or tell me to mind my own business :wink: [-X

Hi Ian, I have been looking at ways of trying to do a better job with something I can leave assembled somewhere.
I know that the lighting and presentation is appalling.
I was an avid photographer for many years and have several Film SLRs and a whole raft of lenses, tripods etc.
The whole picture quality, stills presentation thing went to pot when I decided to go for a reasonable digital video camera that had a stills facility that was not the best but adequate for 'snapshots' rather than lug the the SLR's around.

I really need to get some new spotlight bulbs or drag out my remote flash units and slave them from the camera flash but I guess I am just being lazy.

A portfolio is not likely to happen, I have already got orders that will take me several months to complete if they are not to become a chore instead of a relaxing hobby.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back