One Small Step for....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I thought I would introduce myself as I am another one of the folks turning (sorry!) the Cotswolds into shavings. I have been turning since October last year so I am now getting to the point of realising how much I don't know. Still, it is always fun, even the items that end up as firewood!

I have been lurking in the other forums until now as I have decided to replace my 6x8 shed with a brick built workshop so while the planners and builders are doing their stuff I am dreaming about the new paradise I will have - see where I have been until now:

Old%20Shed%2001.jpg

To keep with the tradition of this thread, I also enjoy faceplate turning. This is a 12" dia platter I turned recently as a house warming gift (the legs are ebony).

Spalted%20Beech%20Platter%20002.jpg

At the other end of the scale, in the spring I attended a club organised 'hands-on' day with Ian Wilkie and did some smaller stuff:

Minatures%20002.jpg

Good fun!

Anyway - nice to meet you all am I look forward to the info / banter in this forum!

Simon.

Hi Simon, Glad to here from someone just over the other side of the hill, I like the feet on the bowl, makes for a 'lighter' look.
You certainly have been struggling for room, must have taken some determination to persevere with such limited conditions, very glad that you find turning satisfying enough to warrant upgrading your workshop facilities, I don't envy you going through the hoops with planning etc.

I was fortunate to have existing buildings on my plot that just needed an increase in security and comfort levels.

This piece of Yew was a hard as nails, in fact I think you would be pushed to drive a nail in it.
DSC00848.JPG

This smaller piece of Yew cut like butter.
DSC00849.JPG

DSC00850.JPG

Spalted Beech

Another piece emerges from the shavings and sanding dust.
Eccentric turning via wooden auxiliary jaws remounted with 10mm offset.
DSC00852.JPG

DSC00855.JPG

Yew (150mm dia)

A couple more items, both 300mm dia. the Biscuit plate is from the same Sycamore "blank" as a previous Cheese Platter so that the colour and Grain match.
click on image for larger view

(That is the third 300mm X 50mm blank that has been hand resawn to achieve the appropriate thickness material)

and two more smaller 220mm dia. Beech Biscuit Plates.

Another Potpourri dish, & the results of making a ruddy dusty mess of the workshop.
Spalted Beech (230mm dia.) and Pau Rosa (172mm dia.)

Two items, the results of this afternoon in the shed and walking out of a Shropshire wood yard with just one piece of wood yesterday. (Thats a first)
Cheese Platter and matching Biscuit Plate in Cherry (260mm dia.)

Results of this mornings fiddling.
Popularity with TTSBO, 6. fellow consorts of TTSBO 1.
Beech Coasters (TTSBO, Those that should be obeyed)

A few more offerings. click on images for larger view

Sycamore salad & fruit bowl.

Cedar of Lebanon pot & Yew Knife Handle. (local timber)

click on images for larger view
Another Biscuit Platter to compliment a previous Cheese Board.

Sycamore (300mm)
And a series of small bowls in Cedar of Lebanon.

All the above made over a period of days whilst awaiting the wet wood to dry out in stages.
Made from Cedar from a wood pile such as this.

A local Lady farmer asked if any of the large pile of Cedar of Lebanon from limbs that had been lopped about two years ago was of any use to me, if so I was welcome to collect it along with some Laburnum and a Cherry Tree due for felling on last Friday and any Ash, Beech etc. logs from her woodland that I cared to have before they found their way to the firewood pile.
As she indicated various members of two generations of her family have fond memories of playing in the Cedar tree I have made the items for her to distribute as mementoes.
Slowly introducing them to centrally heated conditions in the hope that they resist the urge to split open.

This weeks contribution: click on images for larger view

Sycamore Salad bowl (oiled) Finally got round to tidying up where I have been.
Sycamore Salad Bowl (oiled)
Ash Serving bowl (oiled)
Two more Beech Coasters

Three more for the collection: click on images for larger view

Cedar of Lebanon Salad bowl, Sycamore Serving Plate & another Yew Knife Handle.

Cedar From this block was wet turned to 8mm, heated in Microwave to encourage obvious wet dispersal, air dried indoors for 4 days and finished to 4mm. (first coat only of oil applied at this picture stage)

Chas,

Once again very nice! :D

I love to see the rough section of tree and the finished item, that wonderful gain pattern hiding in there waiting for you to expose it. :shock:

DaveL":hkgxiyq8 said:
Chas,

Once again very nice! :D

I love to see the rough section of tree and the finished item, that wonderful gain pattern hiding in there waiting for you to expose it. :shock:

Thanks Dave, the amount of preparation work with axe and hand plane (tailed) to get it balanced enough to spin safely takes nearly as long as the turning and does nothing to improve the growing mound of 'wood bits' that are collecting as 'too good to throw'

Waka":cccqwzbf said:
chas

What can I say, all very nicely done. Where did you get your cheese platter insert from?

Thanks Waka, Picked them up from Yandles, they seem to be reasonable on price especially on show days. Axminster also do them but a few coppers more.

Having said that Yandles had not replaced their stock last week when we called in so shelves were bare.

Todays contribution: click on images for larger view

Ash Salad bowl (oiled)

Two more leave the shed: click on images for larger view

Trinket Pot in Bubinga. (Melamine Laquer)

A Knotty exercise in Beech.

Todays Play: click on images for larger view

Spalted Beech. (280mm)

Tulip Tree plate. (250mm)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back