One Small Step for....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A whole weekend away from the lathe, came back with some new projects in mind, thought I had better post something to keep Alf's brain from freezing first.
DSC00769.JPG

Just need to manufacture the shiny bits now to go in the ends.

The Split Ash logcontinued to produce longitudinal cracks so it has been cleaved into smaller segments, these are being rough turned as is and microwaved to remove the bulk of the remaining moisture before finnish turning. A few more to go and a companion set of smaller ones for some homemade miniature turning tools thanks to hands on inspection of Grahams collection.

And of course there just had to be another bowl.
DSC00768.JPG

Birch (210mm dia)

DaveL":nrosh26l said:
Chas,

Nice handles :D, is that copper pipe that you have used for the ferrules?

Actually a 22mm end fed solder connector, parted off in the middle once fitted to first handle with a 30thou. wide (45 yr.old) HSS parting tool I had to hand from my metal working tool kit.

Three more pieces,
A requested Potpourri bowl for a visitor.
DSC00773.JPG

and a couple of trial pieces to keep my hand in.
DSC00775.JPG

Spalted Sycamore Platter (300mm)
DSC00777.JPG

Spalted Lime (300mm)
Not really a suitable wood for anything taking much handling or abuse as it is rather soft and marks easily with a fingernail. (Will recover if subjected to water/damp cloth treatment).

You're getting some great shapes Chas... just luv those clean cut beads...

oldsoke":1ycxoest said:
You're getting some great shapes Chas... just luv those clean cut beads...

Just a 1/2" flat skew Graham, I don't have any preformed scrapers, and a fair bit of an 80grit gouge on the Lime I'm afraid because it was so soft it cut more like Balsa wood.

trevtheturner":3qi8qjhl said:
Nice work, Chas.

So where is all that spalted coming from then? :wink:

I'm away to Ockenden's in the morning.

Cheers,

Trev.

Unfortunately the first small one is the last piece some Guy in Herefordshire gave me, the other two from Ockenden's.
So far the most reliably consistent blanks/timber have been from Ockendens and Yandles in Somerset.

Leave some for me will you, although it is going to be at least another couple of weeks before I can make a trip, have a short detour to Dumfries area all next week to fit in and my current guests don't leave 'till Sunday.

trevtheturner":x98uj08l said:
There should be plenty left for you, if Ockenden's usual stock is anything to go by. :wink:

Cheers,

Trev.

Come on then Trevor it's more than 24hrs :!: , what did you haul :?: , where's the finished items :?: :twisted:

Trying to drown my sorrows at having to leave about 40 cu ft of Sycamore (January storm victim) that was offered FREE whilst in Scotland because I had no way of slabbing it (or transporting it for that matter) I spent the day in the Lathe Shed "Creating More Sawdust" as the LOML who kept arriving with the coffee puts it.
DSC00818.JPG

Thought I would post that to show some of the results so far of the upgrading of the shed.

LOML now has one serving platter with a wipe clean oil finish and is intent on finding some suitable wood on Friday for Salad Bowls etc. to go with it. :lol:
DSC00819.JPG

(Sycamore)

Chas,

Some nice big chunks of olivewood and myrtle, together with some bowl blanks of sassafras and onangkol, plus some ebony, zebrano and padauk.

No finished items yet - but there's no rush! :wink: I have cut about 60 pen blanks from ebony, padauk and zebrano - as one or two people have already asked me if I will have pens available for Christmas presents. :roll: Don't really want to think about the festive season at all, yet, but I will enjoy making the pens in due course.

Cheers,

Trev.

trevtheturner":333x3a7d said:
Chas,

Some nice big chunks of olivewood and myrtle, together with some bowl blanks of sassafras and onangkol, plus some ebony, zebrano and padauk.

...snip..Trev.
Await with interest your output of the exotics, I'm afraid I am in the throws of satisfying orders at the moment, did not think of getting into the marketing line but as it is paying for some of my wood costs and additional tools (a day out Yandles has to be justified after all) I feel a couple of days can be spared. This is the start of the latest batch.
DSC00835.JPG

A start on set of coasters in Beech, (oil finish not complete)
DSC00838.JPG

A fruit bowl in Tulip Wood for export (total of 3 required)
DSC00839.JPG

A kitchen Chopping Board in Sycamore, food safe oil finish.

And something for TLOML whilst waiting for oil finishes to dry.
DSC00837.JPG

A Trinket Pot in Yew.

Chas,

I think making your own tuits is cheating. [-X

Once again you have found timber with grain that is outstanding and your turning makes the most of it. Very nice work. =D>

Repeat every 10 minutes:- I don't have room for a lathe.

DaveL":1gjri1q7 said:
Chas,
I think making your own tuits is cheating. [-X
It's OK, Local Production Police have that covered, they are for someone else. :lol:
Once again you have found timber with grain that is outstanding and your turning makes the most of it. Very nice work. =D>
Thanks Dave, As anyone who has met me will know, I have an enthusiastic Production Manager who has a lot to do with Material Control \:D/

Repeat every 10 minutes:- I don't have room for a lathe.
Oh yes you do, Oh yes you do,Oh Yes You Do,Oh Yes You Do :twisted:

Another Order completed:
DSC00841.JPG

DSC00842.JPG

Spalted Sycamore potpourri dish.

And one speculative that is deemed to "Busy" by the Quality Control Department, I must say I tend to agree, no doubt someone will lay claim to it eventually.
DSC00843.JPG

Spalted Beech.

Just another good old staple, but at least it is getting me used to keeping the face flat and the dimensioning tight. (only 6 more to go of a similar pattern)
DSC00845.JPG

Sycamore base (300mm dia.) oiled finish.

EDIT: Two more for the collection just to prove the shape is repeatable. (250 & 300mm)
DSC00863.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back