One of those days!!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bodrighy

Established Member
Reaction score
:( Nice little bit of beech, decided to make a little pot with it. Going great, excellent finish on the outside, even I thought it was good. OK let's do the inside. Follow the curve , so far so good, now to get the corner at the bottom nice and smooth....PING!! End up with a very small plinth and a very wide serviette ring. Proud of my restraint decide to tackle a piece of apple I had blanked out and rough shaped a couple of weeks ago. Looking good, again nice finish, nice smooth corner inside the bowl. Off the chuck and ***** great split where I had tightened the chuck too much.

Had enough.... quick shower and bed.

This slippery slope has bumps in it (hammer)

Please tell me it happens to you guys as well

Pete

Yep it happens to me. Not just the odd day though - It started around February last year and hasn't stopped. :?

Bodrighy":3rboabto said:
...snip...decide to tackle a piece of apple I had blanked out and rough shaped a couple of weeks ago. Looking good, again nice finish, nice smooth corner inside the bowl. Off the chuck and ***** great split where I had tightened the chuck too much.
Pete

There now follows a series of projects where a spigot (or glue block equivalent) is used instead :)

Can be the mistake that finally sorts out a working method for the removal of the chucking recess in your work, (DAMHIKT) assuming you have not left the base cigaret paper thickness.

Pete, imagine you've just turned the perfect finial top for a small hollow form... the fit was airtight 'plop' :D

All that remained was to hollow out through an aperture about 8mm...easy with the right tool ... in under the neck, all going well....

neck looks a bit thick... just a little more.... !!!!!

perfect..... miniature napkin ring (they seem popular at the moment :wink: ) the final ignominy was seeing the perfect finial top disappear into the vacuum... :oops:

Good days, we all get them but not necessarily consecutively.... think positive, it's a great cure for complacency and overenthusiasm :lol:

It must have been a special day yesterday,
I turned a square bowl into a round bowl, just wasn't happy with how it looked, so got the parting tool and cut the corners off at 2000rpm, triangles of very dense australian eucalyptus where launched into space in my workshop at a very high speed,
I know where one bit ended up, it sliced through a dustbin bag of sawdust spreading it all over the place and leaving the bag in tatters.

I suppose there is a lesson to be learnt there somewhere, something about the dangers of high speed projectiles, coupled with my limited amount of useable limbs, I can hear my mother now "just you be careful"

Chris

Bodrighy":gpg8wdum said:
End up with a very small plinth and a very wide serviette ring

Only done it once..so far...
Oldsoke":gpg8wdum said:
the final ignominy was seeing the perfect finial top disappear into the vacuum...

Although I have had to retrieve several things from the vacuum (screws,pencils,washers,dowels etc.)

Andrew

wood yew believe it !":2wv8vfyv said:
i think we,ve all been there , more than once as well, oh well, if at first you dont succeed.....

it is only the toothless parrott that succeeds :D

Back