OMG! this looks brilliant

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like it but not at that price, also your not really learning anything as its all pre set operations so push button woodwork ..
Yes, I think it's more for the semi professional who makes a lot of repeat stuff and would value the repeatability and time saving.

I wonder what more there is to uncover about 2 axis movement? :)

For the price as well, I would be hopeful for a PC or tablet app as well as the control display

I wonder what more there is to uncover about 2 axis movement? :)

For the price as well, I would be hopeful for a PC or tablet app as well as the control display
They should combine forces with a well known 3D printer maker afterall it's pretty basic 2 axis control with stepper motors it's relatively old technology I would think the problem would be the cost to develop the remote control software and application, would they sell enough to make the money back? afterall it's not a £300 3D printer made in China.

So still in the dark age's.
Not really, just different use cases.

- Using the right protocol and wiring, you can send data upto 1km away - that can't be done with USB or ethernet (unless lots of switches / fibre)
- Using serial comms mean something is hardwired and doesn't rely on a switch / routing like ethernet does
- Using serial limits the footprint of the embedded software / microprocessor required without having to implement USB / ethernet and it can quite adequately handle the required data
- Lots of development of standard protocols over the past 40+ years reduces development time / cost / complexity

Don't get me wrong, USB & Ethernet is widely used but serial communications still have their place. In fact, just this morning I have been working on a serial interface which is used within 15,000 consumer facing devices all over the UK :)

Serious question, you are suggesting that despite the innovation that has happened over the last twenty years, industry/computer science/communications have not come up with a better solution than the serial cable/connector?

Is it not that serial cabling is left over from a by gone age and that it would be too expensive/disruptive to change to a more modern form of communicating between industrial applications?

I have worked on a lot of automation systems that use serial. Normally RS422 or RS485 rather than RS232, but the principle is the same. A big advantage over ethernet is that timing is deterministic. You know exactly how long a signal will take from controller to device and it will always be the same. With ethernet the timing is variable which can make it difficult to synchronise /co-ordinate multiple devices.

Edit for typo.

Last edited:
Yes it's very robust but not very quick, in vehicles we moved from serial to CAN many years ago and now we are moving to ethernet in vehicles to increase the speed of communications to keep up with realtime monitoring demands of driver assist systems

Latest posts

Back