OMG! - Please help me choose!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

COLT45UK

Reaction score
I'm so sorry, my english isn't good as my first language is BSL (British Sign Language - so yea, I'm Deaf, but very fast learner using my HANDS!) :p

I'd like someone to give me link or compare to these 2 models I'm hoping to choose ONLY 1 of those mitre saw that I'm interested - "UNLESS" you can recommend me a better one that are simalar price to these two!

• Makita = LS1216L
    Bosch = GCM12SD

AND if you were to pick either Makita or Bosch - how would you rate/recommend me these 2 stands?

• Mikita = WST01 (this only just came out?)
    Bosch = GTA 2500 W

Hope to get some answers/reviews/etc.. before the June 11th! - As there's a show I'm hoping to purchase on that day! - As I'm kinda struggling on those 2 products!

I'm kinda 51% onto Bosch but Makita are kinda well known big brand to me? so that put me onto 51% too! ... that makes it 102% (i know it's impossible!) :s .. i need someone to advice me which I should go for.

Now, I'll tell you what I need it for?
First of all, I've own 2 mitre saw in the past - 1 from BQ (B&Q £20 Compound Mitre Saw) .. suitable for a small skirting board .. but then later my other mate was amazed how well I did my job and asked me to do her skirting boards as she couldn't afford to pay for "qualified" people to do the job .. I just then realise that my 1st mitre saw isn't big enought for her skirting board which is slightly bigger .. so my wife nags at me saying "What u need that BIG saw for?" .. so then I went to the next possible size "Evolution Mitre Saw (RAGE3-S 210mm Sliding)" - Job's done real nicely after completed!

Now, "my wife" and my other friend wants me to built them a flower bed, shed, etc..

Flower bed .. "Sleeper Logs" - So you can see how big they are!
Shed .. mostly 2 or 3 inchs by 2 or 3 inches (roof probably 3 or 4 inches)

So I kinda need a big mitre saw that would do me lots of work.

Anyway, i've already spend 2 mitre saw in the past and I'm looking 3rd Mitre Saw .. so I'm hoping to choose the BEST I can get for most "DIY" jobs so that I won't have to spend anymore after that!

I've already own MLT100X (Table Saw with Stand) so this Mitre Saw DOES come in handy for me (especially on boards, etc..).

Let me know what you would recommend.

Thanks and please remember take it easy as I'm kinda new to this "woodworking world!" as I want to start follow my "grandfather's path" as he have been doing this for years and I want to hear your opinion! :D

Thanks again and hope to get your feedback/advice before the end of June 11th.

R.Adams

Welcome to the forum. I cant help you on the choice of saws, but cutting sleepers is likely to be beyond the cutting capacity of a mitre saw. For that task, a chainsaw might be easier. I will also warn you about the weight of them, having just installed a load myself.

I actually cut them from all 4 sides with a (cheap) circular saw, and finished the centre by hand.

Mark

for cutting large section timbers including sleepers, I'd advise a dewalt aligator saw model DW390 230V ALLIGATOR SAW

can be found at http://www.dm-tools.co.uk/product.php/s ... /sn/DEW390

It's a safer alternative to using a chainsaw if you are not competent as kickback is more of a potential hazard and can be fatal.

I've worked with this saw a few times and like it. Bosch used to do one some years ago and it's a shame it was discontinued.

as regards a compound mitre saw. the Bosch GCM12SD is one I use in my workshop. It's been with me 2 years and has done production runs for different jobs and I'd recommend it. I used to have a makita 1214lx and had a few problems with it. where the base casting had some weaknesses where the clamp if not handled carefully could crack the casting, etc.

The stand you mention for the bosch is also very good. I work between this stand for outdoor use and my main bench when in the workshop.

There's others to choose from depending on your capacities and needs. remember that user comfort is an important factor when working with one of these saws on a daily basis.

lew

I don't think Alligator Saws would be any good for me in the long term as it's only 2 flower bed I'm going to make and think i'd not use it any more after that.
I will stick to the old fashion way by manually sawing it :(

I'm going to the show next week, they will have both Makita and Bosch on demo.

Currently, I'm thinking of going for the bosch now as I have been picking up some bad reviews/faults about makita's but nothing for bosch so far.

If anyone can find me a good price for the Bosch GCM12SD 240v and the Bosch GTA 2500 W as a package deal? - I found one for £842.50 inc delivery and vat. That the cheapest I have found so far - my wife keeps telling me to try find any cheaper elsewhere but have no luck so far! :D

Thanks

R.Adams

I don't have any experience of the Bosch or the makita because I normally buy dewalt tools, I have just bought the dewalt dw717xps and am very impressed, all the positive stops on the scales are spot on, I've checked them with a digital angle rule and they are within 0.01 degrees.
The shadow line cutting system is great and gives for better accuracy. It came with a 60 tooth blade which gives really clean cuts.

It came with the de7400 stand and it's great lightweight but very sturdy it extends to nearly 4m and has supports with stops for repeat cutting.

Got them both from Anglia tool centre for £600 plus a free bag ( seen them on flea bay for £30 so you could flog that if not needed )

Heres the link for where I bought it, it's got all the specs as well...

http://www.angliatoolcentre.co.uk/dewal ... d8801.html

I don't want to pass judgment on the Bosch saw stand, as i have never used that particular model.

However, i have used other brands of saw stand and they were all utter garbage!

1) They lack the weight to avoid falling over when large sections are cut (overhanging one end).

2) They do not sit well on uneven ground.

3) Usually quite flimsy, or the knobs break when you try to tighten them

4)They have no other use! A home made bench can be used to accommodate those drying drawer boxes, umpteen doors you are painting and running out of space...and so on.

£30 - £50 on exterior 18MM shuttering ply and some CLS, plus a few hours with your new toy - and hey presto! a bench with a flat surface (saw sunk into it) a wooden rail for a length stop ( a speed clamp and a bit of wood!) and some storage underneath.

For big jobs outdoors, just work on the ground with some blocks to lift the wood to the right height.

Invest the money you save on some good blades.

The saw looks exellent. Can't go too far wrong with Bosch.

Hi Colt45uk,

I was in the same situation as you last week. i went to my local store to check both machines for myself. The bosch has some nice featuers, such as the abiltiy to adjust the handle to the users requirments. i also think, but don't quote me on it that it is belt driven. This has advantages that under strain the replacable belt will take the abuse rather than the gears.

Saying this, i went for the makita ls1216l, i didnt want the stand because i am going to make a table for it so it sits at the same height as the rest of the machines in my workshop. The makita is very smooth and the four rails cuts down on the space required for the saw. i havent had an opportunity to use mine much yet because i have just set it up but i am happy with it.

If you put makita ls1216l in youtube (second one down)you will see an ad showing what the saw can do. Makita have really thought this new saw through and thats why i went for it, plus i am a massive makita fan.

Which ever way you go, you are dealing with very good machines. and as i said i have just got my saw so havent tested it fully yet. My advice, is to go to the show and spend as much time as you need trying them out yourself.

All the best.

Oh i forgot,
I am in agrenment with the other posts, i wouldn't recommend puting sleepers through a mitre saw. Depending on how many you have to do agood hand saw would be ok unless you have a chainsaw, but in the wrong hands they are very dangerous.

I used to own a Bosch GCM 12 SD and never found it to be that reliable. If you pulled the 'head' of the saw forwards, it would wobble or wiggle from side to side by a good couple of millimetres. By comparison, my Makita LS1013 (a 10in saw) wouldn't do this and feels very solid. Maybe I just had a bad one, with the Bosch, as a couple of others, here, appear to be very satisfied with theirs... While having a lever to control the blade tilt at the front of the saw is convenient, on the other hand, I found it was too easy to knock it at times and lose your setting.

I can confirm that the Bosch is a belt-driven saw.

I've not used any Makita saw other than the LS1013, which I highly recommend for accurate cuts up to 90mm thick. Generally, you may find that the greater the blade diameter, the less accurate the saw tends to be (particularly on cheap models). The most accurate 12in saw that I've used is the DW708, which was very solid and reliable. DeWalt have since released several others as well. They've also recently released a new range of portable mitre saw stands as well.

But, I do agree with the other comments, here - unless these sleepers are cut from brand new timber that's within the capacities of your saw, I wouldn't recommend using a mitre saw of any kind. Old reclaimed sleepers will commonly contain lumps of metal and other things that'll ruin your blades, if not more. If it's green oak you're using then, it's fairly easy to cut by hand.

Thanks for the help guys, just purchased both Bosch 12 SD and the GTA 2500 W as a package deal for £700+vat! (£840 inc del/vat)

Back