Old wood - condition.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

docusk

Reaction score
I've returned to turning after a longish absence, over three years since my wife died.
I found a large box of blanks when installing my new lathe (more of that elsewhere) and just trying one or two of the items they seem to be ultra dry to me.
could this make for difficulties in both turning and finishing?
If so, how can I remedy it?

Docusk

Don't think it should affect turning it,although it will be harder than green timber - so you may need to sharpen your chisels more often.
Depending on the timber,it may be dustier (dust mask..granny..eggs..etc.)
As for finishing,if you find it dusty/crumbly in texture,a couple of coats of sanding sealer should stabilise it.

Andrew

Not so much fun to turn as you won't get the long thin ribbons coming off that you get with green wood, but on the other hand the finished objects should be more stable and less prone to distortion, in theory anyway !

Cheers, Paul. :D

It's probably drier than it was when you stashed it but it may not be 'house' dry if it was stored in a shed or garage...

Could be a problem if you're making mating parts such as boxes ...could lead to a wobbly bottom on a bowl :shock:

(just re-read your post) I've stuff that's been in the airing cupboard for over a year... turned a couple of large pieces last week without any discernable difference in the turning qualities :D

Oldsoke wrote:

Quote:
wobbly bottom

French motors....Renault

:roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The RSPCA are seeking to have that advert banned...

apparently 'shaking that Ass' isn't the done thing

You are getting to be very naughty. If I have a wobbly bottom it's not for you to poke fun at it, well poke ANYTHING at it.
I will try some bits but you may be right, the first bit was a little dusty so it's masks and sharpeners at dawn eh.

BTW, I also just bought a Tormek grinder, the lower priced one, and my tools have never been so good. Ordinary smoothing plane in particular is giving superb quality finishes. The whole thing is beautifully engineered too.

docusk
:oops: :twisted: :D

Yes, the tormeks are the biz, you end up looking for new things to sharpen just for the fun of it, or is that just me being a sad g*t !!! :shock: :oops:

Cheers, Paul. :D

Latest posts

Back