Old Wolf Drill and Combination Machines

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sideways

UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I loved these adverts from old 1962/64 editions of Practical Householder Magazine

20231224_125637.jpg

20231224_125604.jpg

20231224_125337.jpg

Does anyone still have / remember tools like these ?

Still occasionally use a Wolf drill my Dad bought second hand off a production line in the 1950s, only thing I have replaced is the rubber covered flex that went sticky

I've got my parents' Wolf cub set with a drill press adaptor, which lays down to form a lathe bed, which can the be fitted with a circular saw table. There's a disk sanding backplate too. The design is a little 'optomistic', seeing as its all based on a small single-(high)speed 1/4 inch capacity drill. It's the best a home diy-er could afford back in the late 1950s, funded from mum's work on the local farms. The drill and sanding setup were much used. The 4"circular saw ripped 1" softwood successfully. And I once managed a 4" bowl on the lathe set-up (which was a bit scary at that rpm). Still works.

Wolf had a system whereby, if your electric drill broke, you'd send it to them & they would sell you a replacement at a substantial discounted price.

I've got my parents' Wolf cub set with a drill press adaptor, which lays down to form a lathe bed, which can the be fitted with a circular saw table. There's a disk sanding backplate too. The design is a little 'optomistic', seeing as its all based on a small single-(high)speed 1/4 inch capacity drill. It's the best a home diy-er could afford back in the late 1950s, funded from mum's work on the local farms. The drill and sanding setup were much used. The 4"circular saw ripped 1" softwood successfully. And I once managed a 4" bowl on the lathe set-up (which was a bit scary at that rpm). Still works.
I had the old black and decker equivalent of this set up, came with a circular saw attachment, jig saw, drill press stand, and sander I made my eldest daughters rocking cradle using these, my then partner sold the cradle when we had finished with it for three times as much as I paid for the kit!! My tools have much improved over the years, the attachments wore out/became dangerous many years ago, but are kept as mementos of when I first started out no knowledge but plenty of ambition !

I still have my Black and Decker D500, with circular saw and sander attachments, and vertical drill stand. I also have a Wolf as in OP and a Bridges Neonic, although the latter two are more recent acquirements. Finally I have the ML8 but none of the extras. I only stopped using my ML8 when I managed to get a graduate and a viceroy. The ML8 is a really well built lathe.

K

Wolf had a system whereby, if your electric drill broke, you'd send it to them & they would sell you a replacement at a substantial discounted price.
My late dads' first job in the '50's was in the Birmingham repair centre of Wolf. In my workshop there are three wolf cubs one with a speed reducer. We used to have the complete range of attachments, but most have been lost in the midst of time. However, in one of my sheds. I have the very bench that he first worked at! It has the wolf logo on the front and two round pin sockets on the front.

My late dads' first job in the '50's was in the Birmingham repair centre of Wolf. In my workshop there are three wolf cubs one with a speed reducer. We used to have the complete range of attachments, but most have been lost in the midst of time. However, in one of my sheds. I have the very bench that he first worked at! It has the wolf logo on the front and two round pin sockets on the front.
Was it the epicyclic speed reducer, where you had to hang on to the body of the thing with your other hand?
My dad had a Wolf, and a Picador circular saw attachment. Thing there was an orbital sander too...

I used my Wolf drill, mounted as a drill press on Boxing Day. I’ve no idea how old it is, but it still works and was obviously designed to be serviced/repaired.

Still occasionally use a Wolf drill my Dad bought second hand off a production line in the 1950s, only thing I have replaced is the rubber covered flex that went sticky
Part number EG2CH?

Latest posts

Back