Woodworkers tool kit 1962-4 style

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I picked up an older version of the top cabinet with most of the tools in it from Marketplace for £15. It needs a bit of work to tidy it up, and I need to replace the plywood doors, but it's pretty good.
IMG_6888.JPG

I didn't start work, officially, until 1970 so I'm wondering, would £16/17/6 have been <> a weeks wages?
Another '70 starter here. I was just thinking the same....
I've a feeling that I was on a quid a day, i.e. £7 a week.
Around that period, I can remember one of my older colleagues getting summoned into the bosses office and being told that he'd cracked the grand a year, i.e. £20 a week!
Wow! He'd made it!

Edit : come to think, it might've been '69. Probably no different...

I finally made the decision to join the Royal Navy for an apprenticeship. When one day a work colleague (who I thouht of as "old" but probably in his late forties was dancing around the workshop, because he now had qualified for a third weeks holiday. I think it was after 12 years! By that time in 1964 my pay had shot up to about £5- 10 shillings but the navy pay was 7/6d a day (but it did improve!).

Originally when installing say skirting you would cut into the wall with a cold chisel and insert a wooden wedge. Skirting was then nailed to the wedges.

If you mean 'Dooks' Dooks were just to hold a nail or screw when putting up framing. It was usual as my understanding of it goes, to put a long strip at the bottom on the wall which was to gauge the depth of plastering, then to attach the skirting to.

The 'wedge' wouldnt be a wedge per say, as you would take a flat piece of timber, then whittle down one corner to a point, flip it over then whittle down the opposing corner to a point, so that when you inserted them and hammered them in tight, the two opposing corners would cause the dook to twist holding it in tight. A simple wedge would loosen off as it dried out over the years.

This is why Scottish 1st fix joinery is superiour ;)

Last edited:
I’m not sure what dooks are, but I’m not referring to framing. On a solid wall, before plastic plugs came along you created a hole in a mortar line if feasible or slid brick if not with a cold chisel and banged in a wedge of wood. To this skirting was nailed.

I had something bought on ebay delivered last week wrapped in paper recycled from 1962 and 1964 editions of Practical Householder magazine.
A couple of the adverts caught my eye.
This is one of them :

View attachment 172677

It's been a year since we had a good tool kit thread. What do you think ?
I came across one of these empty Master brand tool cabinets a few years ago very poor condition with some worm and as hard as I tried to make use of it eventually it went to firewood.

Another '70 starter here. I was just thinking the same....
I've a feeling that I was on a quid a day, i.e. £7 a week.
Around that period, I can remember one of my older colleagues getting summoned into the bosses office and being told that he'd cracked the grand a year, i.e. £20 a week!
Wow! He'd made it!

Edit : come to think, it might've been '69. Probably no different...
I started as an apprentice technician in 1976. I earned £14 a week and gave my Mum £7 a week for rent and food.

£20 per week seems a bit high for 1962. I would think more like £15. I started work in 1962 on £4-14-6d a week (Test department- Electrical relay manufacturers). My Dad a carpenter/joiner I believe was on around £15 per week plus overtime.
1962 1s. 3 1/2d engineering apprentice

I started as an apprentice technician in 1976. I earned £14 a week and gave my Mum £7 a week for rent and food.
'79 here. Engineering trainee before going to uni. We were paid £42 a week and for four of us lads in a shared house together, half of our wages went in rent. Food and bus fares took another good bite out of it :)

If you mean 'Dooks' Dooks were just to hold a nail or screw when putting up framing. It was usual as my understanding of it goes, to put a long strip at the bottom on the wall which was to gauge the depth of plastering, then to attach the skirting to.

The 'wedge' wouldnt be a wedge per say, as you would take a flat piece of timber, then whittle down one corner to a point, flip it over then whittle down the opposing corner to a point, so that when you inserted them and hammered them in tight, the two opposing corners would cause the dook to twist holding it in tight. A simple wedge would loosen off as it dried out over the years.

This is why Scottish 1st fix joinery is superiour ;)
But not Scottish spelling.

But not Scottish spelling.
https://www.dsl.ac.uk/entry/snd/dook_n2_v2https://paulsellers.com/2015/05/the-joiners-axe-part-ii/
The 'wedge' wouldnt be a wedge per say, as you would take a flat piece of timber, then whittle down one corner to a point, flip it over then whittle down the opposing corner to a point, so that when you inserted them and hammered them in tight, the two opposing corners would cause the dook to twist holding it in tight.
From the link - You can see how the opposing opposite corners have been shaved down to create the dook shape that twists when it is hammered home.
DSC_0197.jpg

I started my MoD ( ministry of Defence) 5 year apprenticeship plus a further 2 year learner in sept 1961 and for the first year received the princely sum of £1 2/6d per week of 5 ½ days,
[less than my weekly paper round which took an hour. 7/6d/week].

The apprenticeship was my best investment ever. trained in all aspects of the following skills (General Electrics, Engineering, sheetmetal work), followed by all aspects of Aero Engineering in the latter years

@TRITON Thats the wedge I remember my father showing me how to make when I was still in short trousers. I was wielding the axe to make him wedges or Dooks for fitting skirting my first on my own bedroom. Funny, these days to give a kiddie an axe would be considered child abuse🤪😂.

Latest posts

Back