Old vice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin gray

Reaction score
Brought a very large vice in a job lot of old tools and it had no makers mark on it until I took it apart, then I noticed a mark (see photo) it’s a very strange vice but I would just like someone to tell me the value and more information on it if they can

Attachments

• 6FCA988D-AAF5-4805-9135-FBCB3D69B09C.jpeg
    6FCA988D-AAF5-4805-9135-FBCB3D69B09C.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 677
Can't give you a value, because I suspect you name a price and see if it sells. I rescued mine from becoming hardcore as the muppet who chucked it there couldn't work out how it worked, or that you only needed to undo four bolts to get it moving again after it had rusted up. Apart from that it has replaced my large Record machine vice and I wish I could find the carpentry version in more rubble.

thanks for the plug Andy, although I am afraid that thread is a bit rambling even by my standards!

I summarised the little I could find about the Entwisle and Kenyon vices here.

The part above looks like the toothed block from their "instantaneous grip" woodworkers vice (I confess I did not know they made any other kind).

No idea on value I'm afraid - there do not seem to be many survivors. I am sure there are people who will be interested from a historical perspective but better designs were invented not long after it was made, so you are probably going to need to find a vice geek to sell to :)

please post some more pics if you have time!

Many thanks for your reply. The link you have put I have seen it before, I still can’t find the one I have, the ones that are pictured in the link are not the same as mine, will definitely get you some more photos of it today so everyone can see

If the vice in question for in this thread is a different E&K we (well I at least) would be interested to see a picture.
I find the vice history very interesting (why no dedicated steel/iron woodworking vices before that point and suddenly a rush of invention including several types of quick release, in around 1880?*) - and Nick's history could be well ramble even more for my taste.
I have a Syer from the same time, same part of country (but London branded) and with a similar action (see Nick's blog) and find it an excellent vice - I'd rate it slightly higher than the Record 52/53 etc but each to their taste.
I have tried a Kenyon & E and find it very similar.
In the USA the successors (eg Sheldon) to this type are rather sought after still.
*(there were a few USA w-w, non QR, about 1870)
More historic vices please - we know they're not just collectors items, but can work well after nearly a century and a half.

dannyr":3bkru8vv said:
If the vice in question for in this thread is a different E&K we (well I at least) would be interested to see a picture.
I find the vice history very interesting (why no dedicated steel/iron woodworking vices before that point and suddenly a rush of invention including several types of quick release, in around 1880?*) - and Nick's history could be well ramble even more for my taste.
I have a Syer from the same time, same part of country (but London branded) and with a similar action (see Nick's blog) and find it an excellent vice - I'd rate it slightly higher than the Record 52/53 etc but each to their taste.
I have tried a Kenyon & E and find it very similar.
In the USA the successors (eg Sheldon) to this type are rather sought after still.
*(there were a few USA w-w, non QR, about 1870)
More historic vices please - we know they're not just collectors items, but can work well after nearly a century and a half.

Attachments

• 04FE578E-DB3C-47DD-AC5C-8E0263F50947.jpeg
    04FE578E-DB3C-47DD-AC5C-8E0263F50947.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 539
nabs":x0e4pw1l said:
thanks for the plug Andy, although I am afraid that thread is a bit rambling even by my standards!

I summarised the little I could find about the Entwisle and Kenyon vices here.

The part above looks like the toothed block from their "instantaneous grip" woodworkers vice (I confess I did not know they made any other kind).

No idea on value I'm afraid - there do not seem to be many survivors. I am sure there are people who will be interested from a historical perspective but better designs were invented not long after it was made, so you are probably going to need to find a vice geek to sell to :)

please post some more pics if you have time!

Attachments

• D4DFBA8C-1D8E-4057-8C46-847BE5AB2ED6.jpeg
    D4DFBA8C-1D8E-4057-8C46-847BE5AB2ED6.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 534
Most impressive -a collector's piece or a great workshop user -- must weigh a bit.
A great engineering/metalworking vice. Neither did I know K&E made such, but why not - Parkinson's (then Woden, Record and others) used their different quick release for a huge range of vice types.
danny

Yes this is very large and heavy
I’m hopping there will be someone that will use it, I’m not looking to use it. It’s a fantastic peace and would keep it in the bench but it most likely collect to much dust. I have read so much about the vice now I’m getting attached to it I also have a few more I have brought over the years. But this is the most strange one I have seen
Many thanks
Kevin

Attachments

• 2B8770ED-EDAB-42DF-85B0-38BD07830C3C.jpeg
    2B8770ED-EDAB-42DF-85B0-38BD07830C3C.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 492
many thanks for posting Kevin, it does look a cracker. A US maker called Massey made a copy of the E&K woodworkers vice under license in the late 1800s so, now you have found a metalworkers vice by E&K, I guessed they will have also made that too. Looks like this was the case:

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/sho ... ght=massey
(slightly worse condition than yours! You might need to sign up to the Garage Journal forum to see the image:
attachment.php

This might be a way to find out a bit more about it - I'll have a look around.

Here is your vice I think - shown top left.

This is from the Buck & Hickman 1913 catalogue (note the same "instantaneous grip" mechanism is also used in the rather more complicated vice below). It looks like E&K licensed the design to several companies, which is presumably why there is no branding on the vice

b_H 1913.jpg

Attachments

• b_H 1913.jpg
    b_H 1913.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 439
Back