Brass infill mallet?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug71

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just acquired this, Google tells me it's a brass infill mallet? Is it just a mallet with a bit of extra weight, it weighs about 2lb.

I can't see any makers marks and it doesn't really look that old, are they a common thing?

I shall be putting it to work tomorrow, it's certainly much prettier than the black rubber dead blow mallet I use at the moment :)

brass mallet 1.jpg

brass mallet 2.jpg

Similar method to a hide mallet with the metal centre for better weight, looks like replacement faces could be easily replaced. Seems legit.

Doug, I have two versions with similarities. In essence what they aim it is creating a mallet head with maximum mass (for the specific task) in as small a head as possibe (for ease of use).

The first is a modified Veritas, and the second is a brass infilled morticing mallet (the smallet mallet is for bench chisels) ...

Hammer7.jpg

What all have in common are UHMW faces and shopmade ergonomic handles.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Unless ur a square ....lol.....or into engineering then the Thor mallet comp ...
British and going for as long as I can remember....copper n hide or a double ender.....
have a few but rather like the 5lbs'er.....still good after 40 years of use and the handle is orig and still tight.....
shopping-2.jpeg

Similar method to a hide mallet with the metal centre for better weight, looks like replacement faces could be easily replaced. Seems legit.
I have a couple - no makers names - guessing pre WWI
replacement faces on one of mine not as easy as looks because the boxwood infill goes right thru and the handle thru that - this stopped me investigating the other
however they do look good

clogs - your avatar is the Studley tool box - there's a fine one of these in that

I have an old masons mallet , round like a carvers mallet, with a large head and tiny handle. It has a dovetail insert at the top made of lead to give it a bit more heft, though I'm not sure it needs it. :unsure:

I have a couple - no makers names - guessing pre WWI
replacement faces on one of mine not as easy as looks because the boxwood infill goes right thru and the handle thru that - this stopped me investigating the other
however they do look good

clogs - your avatar is the Studley tool box - there's a fine one of these in that

I was going to attempt replacing the faces on mine but found a couple of Youtube videos showing some have a full wooden head as you describe so putting that job on hold for now..........

Back