Parkinson's no 61 vice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Artefacts

Reaction score
Purchased a tools pallet at auction and in there was this interesting looking vice

I found a Parkinson's catalogue but it does not mention "61"

I'm not sure if I should keep this as it's very cool - but do I do enough wood work to really justify this ... hmmm

Might be better off with someone who will use it a lot.

appears to be about 180-200mm wide and opens up at least 12-16 inches

It has a light oiling and touch of wire brushing

The face is red - and the rear is more like a maroon colour

Anyone come across a Model "61" ? any info/history would be greatly appreciated ?

Thanks for looking - more photos and dimensions will be uploaded if there's interest

Thanks for looking :)

vice.png

Here are some pic's

front.jpg
under.jpg
underback.jpg
vice.pngfront.jpgunder.jpgunderback.jpg
top.jpg
size.jpg

Last edited:
Lovely vice!

Sadly I have too many!

But that looks a beauty!!
see you're in bradford - I call that town the birthplace of British cast iron vice-making - Parkinson and earlier - if you have too many - is there a Bradford industrial museum that highlights this and could do with examples I might have one or two to give)

see you're in bradford - I call that town the birthplace of British cast iron vice-making - Parkinson and earlier - if you have too many - is there a Bradford industrial museum that highlights this and could do with examples I might have one or two to give)
Yes Google Bradford industrial museum.

They will have some I'm sure.

Joseph Parkinson invented the quick release vice and called this new vice the Perfect Vise. Legend says that despite coming from Yorkshire he deliberately chose the American spelling 'vise' so there was no possibility of a double meaning whereas 'vice' to the Victorians was a very meaningful word. The spelling was retained throughout the firms existence.

Mr Parkinson made our woodworking life much easier by inventing the quick release, I think the least we can do in return is call his invention by the name he gave it............ ;)

Joseph Parkinson invented the quick release vice and called this new vice the Perfect Vise. Legend says that despite coming from Yorkshire he deliberately chose the American spelling 'vise' so there was no possibility of a double meaning whereas 'vice' to the Victorians was a very meaningful word. The spelling was retained throughout the firms existence.

Mr Parkinson made our woodworking life much easier by inventing the quick release, I think the least we can do in return is call his invention by the name he gave it............ ;)
That means I've got one of each, ie, one with a quick release and one without.

Quick release - Vice & Vise - wonder what else Joseph was into😂

Back