Screw type for Parkinson's 6F engineering vice?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benjaminmiguras

Reaction score
Hi forgive me if this is in the wrong section but I have a quick question to those with much more experience than myself.

I have a large Parkinson's 6f engineering vice with quick release and it is missing a bolt at the front. I will post a picture up for idea of scale but this missing bolt stops the quick release from working

Any idea what type of bolt I should look for?

Thanks

Ben

I'm in the process of restoring an 8F so could check the parts on mine. Are you meaning the component that looks like a castle nut? Or maybe the quick release lever?

nice vice/vise -- worth getting it going again -- Parkinson invented this type of buttress thread quick release, copied a few years later by Record, Woden, Fortis and others - many parts are interchangeable but not all, and the no 8 means it's a big 'un. oh, sorry just seen yours is a no6 - still a fine lump of cast iron

I rescued my old Parky with a spring and nut from a cracked Record of about 100 years later - seemed identical, but I may have been lucky.

Last edited:
On my 7-F, there are 2 countersunk screws that hold the front plate on, they are 1/4” 20 tpi. The two I have are 22.2 and 23.5 mm long threaded length.
D4DFBA7D-B412-4199-8D89-EFAE6FD5FCD3.jpeg

I ran a Whitworth tap in of that size with no issues.
7C63D1D4-48D3-41DE-BB8F-4E20AB429E0A.jpeg

There are 2x more screws that hold the quick release handle to the slide, and hold the slide-guide to the casting.
The one that holds the slide and handle together is countersunk, 4.4 mm diameter (possibly 3/16” as that is 4.7 mm), 10.4 mm threaded length.
The one that holds the slide-guide to the casting is 20 tpi 1/4” again, dome head, with 13.3 mm threaded section.
8B2600F6-71C0-4508-A648-EC19D7655624.jpeg

Back