Old Shipwreck found on beach Orkney

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
very interesting - I wonder how anyone will discover the real truth about it - would love to be able to know the history - what ship / why did it sink / etc.

The BBC again, they won’t let you see the pics if you’re not in the uk, first one shows for a couple of seconds but then zilch, but it’s the sort of thing I like, seems very well preserved.

I don't know what I'm talking about but if you changed your computer time setting to London and place would it trick the system or am I bonkers

Just changing your named location won't work, as the server IP address where you are.
Using a vpn is the only way, as they will use a server in the country you chose.

Screenshot_20240221-174643.png
Screenshot_20240221-174628.png
Screenshot_20240221-174617.png

Well thanks for that, but it’s like no ship construction I’ve ever seen, not that that says much lol.
The ribs are next to each other, so I had a look at the Mary Rose, and again it looks a most unusual construction to me, different layers running in opposite directions.
Just shows what I don’t know!
8760E5C0-E15F-4542-8A9F-1914A2BF838A.png

I hope the experts can get some useful information out of it and perhaps even find more of the ship itself. Back in the days of sail Orkney was well connected in maritime circles. A lot of ships called there before heading across the Atlantic. If anyone is ever there the museum in Stromness is well worth a visit. Even Capt. Cook called in there on his way to someplace.
Regards
John

I don't know what I'm talking about but if you changed your computer time setting to London and place would it trick the system or am I bonkers
It uses your IP address I believe to establish geography. To get around it use a VPN (Virtual Private Network), you can then pretend to be anywhere in the world.

Well thanks for that, but it’s like no ship construction I’ve ever seen, not that that says much lol.
The ribs are next to each other, so I had a look at the Mary Rose, and again it looks a most unusual construction to me, different layers running in opposite directions.
Just shows what I don’t know!
View attachment 176391
Yes I thought exactly the same, if its a section of the keel then the “ribs” do seem to be very close to each other, and I began to wonder if it was to give it added strength as say a warship,,but your pictures of the Mary Rose show reasonably spaced out ribs,,,and of course, where is the keel? Fascinating stuff though.

A fascinating find. As well as dendrochronology, which should give a date for the timbers, I believe there are DNA tests of sorts , that can show where in Europe the trees grew, and therefore give a clue to the vessels country of origin.

Diagonal planking persisted well into the 20th cent. One lair at about 90degrees to the other. Made a very strong construction. Expensive yachts, ww2 patrol boats and RNLI lifeboats spring to mind. That bit from Orkney would be quite a few hundred years old by the looks of it. Trennnel boat construction is an ancient method. That said it is still in use on some wooden boats.

Treenail - Wikipedia
treenail boat - Google Search
Regards
John

That picture of the Mary Rose shows very closely spaced ribs in exactly the same way as the photos. I still think the section is very flat for a hull section but am very happy to be wrong. Had thought carvel planking was too modern but just found out about the Gribschunden. If at all interested in this topic you HAVE to read up on her.

Last edited:
That picture of the Mary Rose shows very closely spaced ribs in exactly the same way as the photos. I still think the section is very flat for a hull section but am very happy to be wrong. Had thought carvel planking was too modern but just found out about the Gribschunden. If at all interested in this topic you HAVE to read up on her.
Hull bottom would be pretty flat with a outer keel.

The trennails should ate it pre the industrial revolution??

Back