Old Rusty Plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vann

Established Member
Reaction score
Would anyone like to hazard a guess as to what this is?
Rusty Plane.jpg

It was listed simply as
"Old rusty plane.
Old plane. It's quite rusty with a broken handle. Would be good for rustic decoration :)"

If I'm lucky it's a Stanley No.2, but it has the later "ogee-shaped" frog and unusual knurling on the depth adjuster. Could be a USA type #18, could be a cr*p plane from some obscure manufacturer.

Anyway, it was listed for $8 NZD (~£4) with a $15 "buy-now" (~£7.50), so I did :wink: .

It will hopefully arrive in a few days.

Cheers, Vann.

Attachments

• Rusty Plane.jpg
    Rusty Plane.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 1,806
By looking at the lateral adjustment lever I would say the it was probably made by Stanley...but for who?

The plane arrived this morning. On the front it had cast "No. 3" (dammit). It's a Canadian Stanley. The mouth has been filed out to ~5.8mm (most of my planes have mouths in the 4.4 to 4.7mm range)

I already have a No.3 (or two :oops: ) so I'll derust this, repair the handle, and move it on (sigh). I should at least get my initial outlay back.

Cheers, Vann

GazPal":147os346 said:
Vann":147os346 said:
I already have a No.3 (or two :oops: )

Cheers, Vann

As many as that? :D
My lips are sealed (in case the misses reads this).

The cutting iron has the numbers "147" on the back. I vaguely recall someone posted about this a year or so ago, but my searches have been fruitless. My browse of B&G (and a couple of Stanley type studies) also failed to bring up anything.

Am I correct in surmising that "147" means: 1st quarter of 1947?

Cheers, Vann.

Latest posts

Back