Old Machinery Brands Views please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SammyP64

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

i've been looking on a certain named auction site for a 8"/9"/10" sort of size surface planer, but i would like to get something in the regions of an old Sagar, Wadkin, Robinson etc etc

So, i was just wondering if there were any particular brands to steer clear of and ones that are good bang for your buck or just good machines, where to get the, from other than the named auction site etc

Thanks,

Sam

Thanks very much, i'm trying to find a wadkin as they seem the most common and thus easiest to get parts for,
they are also a machine i know my7 way around,
I just wondered as to who else were good,
as i said, i'm aware of wadkin, sagar, robinson, wilson, i just wondered if there were some easier to find ones in the particular size i would like, single phase, and very good for the money they are.

Bug thanks all the same for your input.

Any others?

Sam

If you're after a single phase machine then, you may want to look out for a 9in Multico planer. They appear on eBay every so often. I'd be surprised if most of the Wadkin, Robinson, etc. wasn't all three phase.

Thanks very much Moose and OPJ,

OJP, now and then you do get some of the old kit in single phase format, and thats what i would prefer, but i've also had some experience with newer Sedgewick kit, and its good stuff,

So i shall add Sedgewick and Multico kit to the list!

any more for any more?

Sam

I've heard Ferm is a good machinery make..... :whistle: :lol:

my father had a Ferm mortiser/drill press,

The damn thing was awefull!
it could barely drill or mortice into some pine let alone anything heavier duty,

a brand i will be steering clear of!

Sam

Wadkin, Dominion, Robinson are the traditional heavy duty makers, there are still firms rebuilding these machine so spare will be avaiable

Wadkin are the number one choice for classic machinery, There is always customers for wadkin kit ,so its more expensive but never drops in value if you sell it

Other old traditional makers include sagar, cooksley, pickles, etc

The more modern makers are, sedgwick, startrite, multico, evenwood

And then its the modern pressed steel and light cast machines made recently

I will be selling my wadkin surface planer in the next few weeks, but its 3 phase,but its a very little used machine and would be really nice machine for you to convert to single phase

hi sam

awkwood is right IMHO if you don't mind changing from 3 phase to single phase these machines (cost) is not cheap Wadkin, Dominion, Robinson are the traditional heavy duty makers ( all excellent machines) which will out live us all. Do you have 3 phase connection availability already installed if not ? plus these are very large and very very heavy machinery , do you have an industrial size workshop, or just like most of us a garden shed ? hc

I've said many time on here. My firs TS was a Ferm and it scared me to death. When you switched it on it jumped, literally. :shock:

I have 2 multico 9 inch planers well ones my mates but its in my workshop and they are both single phase and are for sale if you are interested at around £200. I can get some pics for you if required.

cheers

jon

theres a multico 9 incher on ebay currently sitting at 75 notes, item no. 170485752156

thanks Johny d, that would have been amazing,

but sadly, ive just bought an old single phase wadkin, 6" for starting on some small prodjects, clocks, jewelery boxes etc etc
in need of a fair bit of work and it needs a fence,

but it was only £75!!!!!

good old ebay, through piles of rubbish theres an eventual winner...

ME!!! :D:D:D

Sam

p.s. at some point i would still like to get an old 18" band saw, pillar drill etc etc, so this is gonna stay open

I have the 9" Multico planer (looks same as the one in the ebay add), but mine has the sliding tennoning bed and a thicknesser attachment. I know you've just bought a planer, but just wanted to impress how good they are for your future machine purchasing.

It'll be interesting to see what that planer goes for, I paid £200 for mine - worth every penny 8)

well done on the wadkin btw

Thanks Guys,

I will deffinately look at getting a multico 9" when i upgrade,
can i ask, is the tenoning bed of the horizontal type with a moveable plate bed?

Sam

Latest posts

Back