Old Machinery Brands Views please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SammyP64":3p3s9ju8 said:
can i ask, is the tenoning bed of the horizontal type with a moveable plate bed?

Yes mate, it runs on two rails fixed alongside the infeed bed, which you can wind down to cut up to 25mm deep, I'll take some pic's tomoz if you like

That would be perfect thanks,

JK had the right idea with the one on his rip saw, he had a drill type chuck installed so he could use it for drilling too!

This is the sort of thing i would like to do

Sam

mult1.jpg

mult2.jpg

mult3.jpg

The last pic is the top mounted thicknesser attachment, it fits into the fence mount, but is not nice to use, it is very heavy to take on and off, there is obviously no powerfeed, and you have to be really careful not to catch the cutter block at an angle which makes for a nasty kick

I just bought a nice looking 9" wadkin bursgreen from the bay, £250.

Hopefully a nice little machine. Should tide me over while my Rojek gets fixed :(

screw the rojek joints!

you should be sticking to the good old english bomb proof kit, the wadkins and the robinsons etc etc,

you wont ever have a problem with them, treat em right and theyle outlast a neuclear war! ha ha

Sammy

Joints":75to0qpy said:
I just bought a nice looking 9" wadkin bursgreen from the bay, £250.

Hopefully a nice little machine. Should tide me over while my Rojek gets fixed :(

Let us know how you get on with that, I posted it on here a few days ago.

your best bet would be a wadkin 12" baos most parts can still be found.
check the feed carefully ase the worm and worm wheel can fail. I have also come accross a few that have sheered the feed motor shaft. Most of them just about meet the puwer regs for stop times without the need for dc braking
other than that they are a good solid machine albeit slightly larger than you stated.
A robinson would also be a good bet but there arnt many around again most parts can be found.
Steer clear of of sedgwick (they are rubbish)
I am a self employed ex wadkin engineer so i have seen all makes and models over the years.

tjwoodms":2vg9jku7 said:
Steer clear of of sedgwick (they are rubbish)

Can you elaborate on why they are rubbish as that is a rather bold statement. I have 2 sedgwick machines and they have performed admirally for nearly 10 years since i bought them. I also have 3 wadkin machines and they are definetely a step higher than the sedgwicks in terms of engineering but the sedgwicks are good for there price and intended market IMHO.

cheers

jon

we have a new (well about 6 months old now) sedgewick 571 morticer - and it is excellent, significantly more powerful, smoother, and better made than the multico M it replaced

so i to would be interested in hearing in what way the brand is "rubbish" ;)

Its simple really the sedgwick is a budget machine range which is pooly designed in genral although their morticers arnt bad. From my point of view i dont like them because they are very awkward to repair due to the way most of tham are put together like the planer/thichnessers you have to remove the side of the machine just to change the cutter block bearings
The way i put it to my customers if you buy a good used wakdin/robinson or dominion you should never need to change it unless your requirements change.
Also the sedgwick range just isnt as well built for example i often change spindle bearings on the sm4 spindle moulder when they are only 3/4 yrs old but even the more modern wadkin spindle bearings rarley last less than 10 yrs.
having said that sedgwick are still trading but wadkin, robinson and just about all of the other old english manufactures are dead and buried

to put it another way if you have two machines like the sedgwick morticer and the wadkin dmv or mf moticers next to each other most operators would rather wait for the wadkin to become free than use the sedgwick.

ive used both an old wadkin and an old multico morticer, both were beautifull to use, but the multico was somewhat "stiff" maybe some bearings just needed a little grease...

May i ask, tjwoodms, where i could get a fence for my old wadkin machine as, while its a beautifull and smooth opperating machine, and near silent to run, there neglected to be a fence included, and for planing face side and edge its pretty damn crucial

Sammy

p.s. i will post some pics of the machine soon if people would like, i alson have a wadkin table saw (easily 40's or 50's) that i am getting for £30-£50 :D if otheras would like pictures

Sammy
parts like that will be very hard to come by.
you could try AMS you need to speak to Tony Harris 08448449949 but i think you will have to make your own in the end (not good i know) the problem is there arnt many bft's out there.
Also the cost of a new fence for your machine would be way more than paid for the machine.
The other option is try to get hold of another BTF and use the poorest condition one as a donor
good luck

Thanks for that tj, i may be able to get someone to fabricate me something up, but it would be a little easier with some dimensions of an original at least, hence why i thought getting a replacement would just be so much easier, i will certasinly get in touch with AMS and Mr Harris and see if they can assist,

Sammy

i know a guy by me that has a 12 or 15" wadkin for sale, 600 quid plus he has a 3 metre pad sander for a similar price also wadkin. both in 3 phase.

Emco planers come up on that auction site every now and again, a bench joiner friend of mine sold his the other day. it was 15 years old and he said he never had any problems with it.
There`s a few emco combi machines on that auction site at the moment, they look to be fairly well built.

Latest posts

Back