Old homemade Plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
motownmartin":2z2oxv4z said:
Thanks for the info, I have sent an email to EMIR to see if they could give me any more info, this is important to me as it has a sentimental value.

Many Thanks

Martin

In that case I'd start on the clean up/restoration with gentle techniques.

Not sandpaper. Probably not paint stripper. Nothing involving (grain raising) water.

BugBear

Martin's picture set me wondering.............

I've got quite a pile of woodies some now fettled and some in storage.
I've realised that nearly every single one has (or had) paint splashes on it, like Martin's. :-k

Planes seem to be an inefficient dust sheet substitute to me. :lol: :lol:

I recently did up a rebate plane that had obviously been used as a paint can stand, judging by the rings in it. :shock:

you certainly get the impression that after metal planes became cheaper,
the wooden planes were kind of left around in the workshops, and then because they were not in use, became just shaped blocks of wood.

i think when they went into grandad's /dad's butty bag they were always going to be used, but somehow the perceived problems of sharpening and adjusting meant they got pushed to one side..

they really were as cheap as chips, and i think just got forgotten
it's only because of us idiots that now they are coming back into use, because it is a great tool to learn things with.

paul :wink:

Wooden jacks, like Martin's, were still regularly recommended as the jack plane of choice by Charles Hayward well into the 60s iirc. Took a while for the penny to drop on my part, but it's now mine for genuine jack plane tasks too. For more sensitive tasks like smoothing and such, the metal equivalents were embraced fairly readily, but you just can't beat the ease of a wooden plane for wasting away a lot of wood without wasting away the woodworker. :lol: The question of paint and why it's always there and what factors decree the colour has cropped up a few times on the Old Tools List - no definitive answer yet, as far as I know.

Cheers, Alf

Alf":244jvjua said:
The question of paint and why it's always there and what factors decree the colour has cropped up a few times on the Old Tools List - no definitive answer yet, as far as I know.

Cheers, Alf

The paint is always Light green, unless it's white. It's a law of the universe.

BugBear

bugbear":16y0po5r said:
motownmartin":16y0po5r said:
Thanks for the info, I have sent an email to EMIR to see if they could give me any more info, this is important to me as it has a sentimental value.

Many Thanks

Martin

Not sandpaper. Probably not paint stripper. Nothing involving (grain raising) water.

BugBear
What are these gentle techniques :?:

Martin

In years to come when woodies get rare and in demand, will forgeries/Repros be splashed with paint?

Hijacking this thread still further: in the town where I live there used to be a locomotive works. You could spot the employee's homes because they were painted either maroon or dark green.

bugbear":76y8lw1r said:
The paint is always Light green, unless it's white. It's a law of the universe.

Or the predominant colour scheme used in painting workshops? ;)

motownmartin":o1rgp7ub said:
bugbear":o1rgp7ub said:
motownmartin":o1rgp7ub said:

Many Thanks

Martin

BugBear
What are these gentle techniques :?:

Martin

The ones I described in my reply to your post that started this thread :?

BugBear

Martin,

I think we have established you need to leave the "patina" alone to prove its genuine. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I wrote to Emir and got this reply

Dear Mr Stoker

EMIR planes were hammer stamped at one end EMIR though we also manufactured for other brands such as Toga and during the war with the MOS code 303. Some details of the plane block are not typical of our methods since 1950 (top bevelling, nut slot, un-bared wedge). We may have fitted Jowett irons but our main suppliers were Sorby, Holdick and Mathiesson.

Regards

BILL EMMERICH

Still none the wiser :?

Maybe it is homemade

Martin

motownmartin":t7jx06kw said:
our main suppliers were Sorby, Holdick and Mathiesson.

That'll be "Hildick" and "Mathieson"

Is there a name on the toe of the plane? Stamped in like this:
moseley.jpg

(confession; those planes have been cleaned)

BugBear

Sometimes a visual helps lodge something in the brain - Cleaning a wooden moulding plane :wink:

motownmartin":jh4baphu said:
I wrote to Emir and got this reply

<snip>

Still none the wiser :?
On the other hand I've just been able to add a few more pencilled notes to the entry for Emir in BPMs, so it's not all loss :D

bugbear":jh4baphu said:
motownmartin":jh4baphu said:
our main suppliers were Sorby, Holdick and Mathiesson.

That'll be "Hildick" and "Mathieson"
And which Sorby?

bugbear":jh4baphu said:
(confession; those planes have been cleaned)
Oh the humanity... :shock:

Cheers, Alf

since we are promoting and showing how we save woodies, i thought i might show some of mine.

as you can see i have some modern ones, the now defunct dutch brand nooitgedabt, plus at least 5 older ones

the two jacks are branded.

one is stamped roberts, but i have also found a marples imprint on it, as well as the decal. it has a warranted cast sheffield steel blade, which is actually tapered out toward the cutting edge. sadly the detail is not too clear, it carries a chip breaker. it says it is 21/4

the other one is stamped mathiesons and also carries the mark
campbell brand it too has a warranted cast sheffield blade which is tapered out to the cutting edge, and has a chip breaker. unfortunately the wedge is worse for wear and may need a new one making.

the coffin smoothers do not have any manufacturing marks on them that i can see yet, the blades certainly do not carry marks. the larger one has a chip breaker, the smaller one not.

the angled rebate plane is an emir brand 1 1/4 wide

the hand driven grinding wheel machine is one my dad used to sharpen his stone chisels both in the workshop and on site in the cemeteries.
it is as you can see a mole brand, i assume it is the same company that makes mole grips, but cannot find any details so far. sadly the machine is somewhat seized, but sometime soon will try to dismantle it and see whether i can make it work again.

you do wonder why the jacks do not have any front handles??

as you can see the dutch stuff was still a relatively traditional shape.
th_woodenplaneset1.jpg
[/url]

[/img]

now i must find the extra time to fettle and work with them. seems at least one of the jacks could make a decent scrub plane. but does that require a slightly curved base?

Ah, the "Mole" grinder - the very model that does the bulk of my grinding, see? Get it working! It's a nice grinder and I believe it is a product of the company more famous for its grips. Buck & Hickman list it in their 1958 catalogue thusly:

"Mole" Hand bench Grinder.
Non-ferrous Castings used throughout.
Gears are totally enclosed.
High-class workmanship, pleasing design and attractive finish, with lettering picked out in red enamel.
Cocus wood handle.

This Tool is a Powerful and well-designed Machine of Robust Construction.

Precision Built to give maximum performance.

Total weight 8lb.

Fitted with 6-inch diameter by 1 inch wide best quality Vitrite Grinding Wheel.
Price £2 12 6 complete.

As for the planes - often makers marks get obliterated by eager hammer use, and then there's the confusion between maker's and owner's marks. F'rinstance, the Marples is definitely a Marples; Roberts will be a previous owner. The trouble comes when you can only read one mark and there's a possibilty it could be either. Someone somewhere really needs to do a basic guide to this stuff so the tyro can at least get a vague start on the right road.

Cheers, Alf

alf

you are right about checking whether it is a name of the owner, retailer or maker. very difficult. interestingly the name roberts is on both ends of the plane which i would suggest means it is a retailer mark rather than just an owner (just :? but you know what i mean :roll: )

as for the mole, didn't realise it was so modern :lol:

will get the plus gas out, and see why it has seized, probably an oil starvation problem combined with stone dust :lol:

will see if i can clean up the details on the blades and make them clearer.

engineer one":7nycwry6 said:

you do wonder why the jacks do not have any front handles??...

Wooden planes, especially the high ones, don't need any special front handles since you can grip the front of the plane quite effectively.

Pam

interesting pam, but surely that really depends on how big your hands are :?

the shape at the front does not to me seem too comfortable, and also you have a situation where your hand may well be across rather than along the plane which is always uncomfortable.

Back