Old homemade Plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motownmartin

Established Member
Reaction score
I found this old Plane in my Mums garage, it obviously used to be my Dads, he may have even made it himself.

I would like to get it looking decent, so the question is what are the do's and dont's.

I know absolutely zilch about hand planes and how to use them, so any advice will be gratefully received.

Here are some pics
RouterTable029.jpg

RouterTable030.jpg

TIA

Martin

Martin - this looks to be in quite good condition. I would firstly remove all the old paint splashes with some stripper or sandpaper and then give the whole thing a really good clean followed by a couple of coats of oil and wax. The blade seems to have plenty of metal left, can't see what the edge is like....may or may not need regrinding and honing, make sure the cap iron seats securely onto the blade. If the sole is hollow thru' use then it's easily straightened by dropping the cutter 6mm and tapping home, place upside down in a vice and take off a few shavings with a longer metal plane until the woodie sole is flat. Should the mouth be too wide then it will need to have an insert let in front of the blade to reduce it, but looking at the pics, I doubt that's the case - Rob

strangely enough martin in clearing around lately, i found two of that type
that had been lying around.

they are probably mass produced because of the shaping, and also it is a proprietary blade.

most important thing is to check whether it is flat and square, unless you want to make it for something else. it is probably about 18 inches long.

the blade and chip breaker need cleaning and then sharpening again. :cry:

question is whether you want to learn to use it, or just save it and make it look pretty. :roll: it will probably need some kind of cleaning and maybe even oiling. :?

can you see who made the blade, then maybe alf or someone can give you an idea of age and style.

good luck

paul :wink:

Martin,

It looks to me as if its a user "as is"
Can't see the important bit (mouth) but if its as good as the rest it should be fine.
So.........other than sharpening, I'd do nowt.

If you want to pm me, I'll call in and show you how to set it up.

That there's a wooden jack plane, in pretty good condition - the blade in particular is in good nick.

It's unlikely your father made it - these were widely available at low prices from factories.

I would use 0000 wire wool and "paste wax". As the crud comes off, your wax and steel wool will get dirty. Replace the wool when you're spreading more dirt than you're removing :)

Be VERY careful not to get wax down the slot where the blade and wedge live, since this will stop the blade being held securely when the plane is used.

Cleaning the blade is just a wire brush exercise. If you sort of squiggle the brush in all direction, the stamped logo should clean up a treat (we'd all like to know who the maker was)

If you're interested in tuning and using the plane, ask again. The above is purely cosmetic.

BugBear

Thanks for the replies so far.

I do want to use this plane but also thought it would be nice cleaned up.

Lurker has seen this plane first hand and as he says it doesn't need anything doing to make it usable apart from sharpening.

The name on the blade is
J. JOWETT
ROYAL ALBION
SHEFFIELD

Martin

British Planemakers sez:

Jowett, John. Albion Works, Arundel Lane, Sheffield. 1860-1900. Irons found in planes by Emir.

Would have been quicker but I had to go and get me hair cut. :roll:

Cheers, Alf

Alf":i70vzytl said:
British Planemakers sez:

Jowett, John. Albion Works, Arundel Lane, Sheffield. 1860-1900. Irons found in planes by Emir.

Cheers, Alf

Jeez. Some reference books really are fussy about who reads them :D

BugBear

MikeW":1f3cv64r said:
So how's the plough book coming :wink:
Slowly. Just where does one draw the line on including other types of farming implements...? :-k :wink:

Cheers, Alf

P.S. We have blog entry. Don't rush though - it's hardly worthy of the name.

Alf":3icptohl said:
MikeW":3icptohl said:
So how's the plough book coming?
Slowly. Just where does one draw the line on including other types of farming implements...? :-k :wink:
Hey, it's your* spelling not mine :lol: Made me laugh.

Seriously. Hmm. Tough question--especially if you are serious! It has to be difficult to limit scope. I do have a listening ear...
Alf":3icptohl said:
P.S. We have blog entry. Don't rush though - it's hardly worthy of the name.
I'll be patient. Really I will. That or I'm headed back out to the shop and it'll be a while before I pop back to have a look-see...

Take care, Mike

*As in the entire world but us nutcases :lol:
**edited because I do not know how to spel nor click the speler checker button...

Hell's teeth, Mike, I'm not serious! Cripes, I'd have to at least blog about being a guru before I contemplated writing a book (and if I ever do the former in cold blood then you have my permisssion to shoot...) :wink: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Alf":vgxrf33q said:
Cripes, I'd have to at least blog about being a guru before I contemplated writing a book :wink: :lol:

Don't think I'd want to be a guru if you have to wear an outfit like that.... :shock: :lol:

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Now that was funny...and I agree with Paul. And besides, you being a woman 'n' all, think of the cr*p you would "have" to wear in that period. That is unless you were stoned for wearing something "sensible." :lol:

...afaik, I've only shot bear, deer, moose, grouse, pheasant, a shark, and there has to be a something else or two. But rest assured. Never once a period woodooworker :wink:

But seriously now :lol: I think an expanded (in the plow sections), better illustrated and updated Planecraft type book would dovetail in really well with C&W's upcoming DVDs.

Heck, you could even use the soon to be released LV plow...

Take care, Mike
now off to the blog before the coffee is done dripping...

Alf":1vbrjs35 said:
British Planemakers sez:

Cheers, Alf

Alf

Thanks for the info, I have sent an email to EMIR to see if they could give me any more info, this is important to me as it has a sentimental value.

Many Thanks

Martin

Back