Old Chisels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EdSutton":392o61b8 said:
Does anyone have any experience of turning wood on this type of lathe ?

Yup, I have a small metalworking lathe that used to be my old man's. It's one of the rebadged Sieg things. Poor quality really but it's fine for handles and knobs. Not ideal obviously but good enough. Has continuous variable speed too, which is nice. I just use a piece of mild steel square bar in the tool post as a tool rest. It's not very long so it has to be moved to use the full length of the bed but that's no great hardship for a thing the size of a chisel handle.

Bugbear":392o61b8 said:
I'm pretty sure that woodturning on a metal working lathe is considered bad, due (IIRC) to woodshaving and dust acting as a moisture attractant and (hence rust) afterwards.

It is really but a good hoover up afterwards and a wipe with an oily rag or some WD40 does the business. Mine is in a damp workshop and there's no rust on it.

I'm sure BB is right about the sawdust being a moisture attracter, but I would have thought a thorough vac and a wipe over with an oily cloth afterwards ought to deal with it though.

I've now got a 2 prong drive centre that I can hold in the 3 jaw chuck which should do the job and solves the issue of getting the chuck off.

Whilst at craft supplies today I also got some cocobolo blanks for handles, but I think I'll start with something cheaper.

Watch this space...

Cheers, Ed

Paul Chapman":2dkpjcbc said:
Hi Ed,

I'd have a go if I were you. I'd never done any turning before and asked Chisel if he would show me how it's done. Two practice pieces then the real thing

Screwdriver3.jpg

If I could do it, anyone can (mind you, Chisel is a good teacher :wink: ).

Cheers :wink:

Paul

You have a natural talent Paul.

Hope it hasn't fallen apart yet :shock: :wink:

Cheers, Paul :D

chisel":1v6vkqho said:
You have a natural talent Paul.

Hope it hasn't fallen apart yet :shock: :wink:

Is that what they call a back-handed compliment :? :? :lol:

No, I use it regularly (and your one) 8)

Paul

Is that what they call a back-handed compliment :? :? :lol:

No, I use it regularly (and your one) 8)

Paul

Whoops, on re-reading that it didn't come out quiet as intended :oops: :lol:

All the best, Paul :D

Might sound like a daft question, but what basic chisel/s and or gouges should I get to make some chisel handles. I don't want to spend more than necessary to do this type of odd job - I'm not planning on geting into turning in a big way.

I converted an old firmer chisel into a round nosed scraper which worked OK, but seemed to cause tear out on the piece of cherry I used as a test. Took a bit of sanding to smooth it out - is this normal?

I know The Toolshop in Derby has Sorby woodturning stuff so I may make a visit later today. Any tips would be good.

First test piece here (please look away experienced turners!)

2891143199_81ac7c787d.jpg

Cheers, Ed.

Progress has been made;

2893081270_26d019ec9e.jpg

2893076506_5da6f1b156.jpg

New handle is cocobolo, the shape is basically copied from one of my Lie-Nielsens. For a first attempt at turning, with frankly improvised equipment, I'm really quite pleased with the end result. Its a lovely wood to work with as it sustains crisp edges to the details.

More handles will follow (eventually - this is not a quick process!)

Cheers, Ed.

Paul

I think I might rip off your bit-holder handle idea in the near future as I like the look of it. Shape-wise its quite similar to the handle I've just done so I think I can manage it. You start getting all sorts of ideas once you realise you can make round stuff!

Cheers, Ed

It's very comfortable to use, Ed. The bit holder I used was a CK - the type they sell to fit cordless drills. I think we drilled the hole about 1.5mm less than the diameter of the shank of the bit holder. Just wallop it in after fitting the ferrule.

Paul

One screwdriver bit holder rolls off the production line;

2895232309_38092c23ff.jpg

2896064418_0d3dd54c65.jpg

The wood this time is Curupay, which I have never heard of before, out of the bargain bin at Craft Supplies (£1.50 for 1 1/2" sq, 2 ft long). It seems to be a mahogany like timber and turns nicely.

I made the brass ferrule myself from a piece of solid round bar. Making these kind of small metal parts is quick and easy when you have a metalworking lathe. The lathe seems to be working fine for this small scale woodturning so far.

Cheers, Ed.

Thanks Paul,

This time I copied the handle of my Lie-Nielsen chipbreaker screwdriver, although comparing the pictures it looks almost identical to yours.

I can see few of these being made as Christmas presents this year.

Cheers, Ed.

Well I'm not planning to get into turning proper, but for these type of small projects it certainly has its uses.

It is strangely addictive though.... :-k

Cheers, Ed

Paul

Your picture made me laugh, because its almost a photograph of what was going through my mind;

I could make another, but just tweak this and slightly change that and..... :lol:

Cheers, Ed

Mike Garnham":2qor27yl said:
are you turning into a not-so-secret turner? I'm told it can be addictive.........next stop Turners Anonymous!!
Mike,

I think you have just seen one of The Slopes TM in action that you were asking about. There are many that can if your not careful lure you down and before you know it you are in a shed up to your knees in damp shavings from a piece of green timber that is spinning before you. :shock:
Or you could be drawn down the shiny tools one and end up building more and more display cases for the ever increasing collection of toys. ](*,) :whistle:
While the Norm one will find you amassing more power tools than anyone could possibly use, this one does have a secondary side effect, everything you make will have brad holes in it and be finished in a nice shade of donkey brown. Oh and might find you are always wearing a plaid shirt when you return from the workshop. :norm: #-o

Ed,

It's a picture Chisel took on the day I made mine. Two of them were made by Chisel, one by me and the top one is one of Chisel's Lie Nielsen's.

Paul

Dave,

yes, I see the danger! Slopes can be slippery.....I guess if you fall down one slope that could be considered careless, but if you fall down 27, as I probably have, that could be considered over-enthusiasm (or OCD)!!!

Mike

Latest posts

Back