Faithfull Chisel

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve355

Established Member
Reaction score
For what it’s worth….

i needed a 1/4 inch skew chisel recently. I couldn‘t find a second hand one online, and I wasn’t up for paying for a posh one, so I went to Screwfix and got a Faithfull 1/4” bevel chisel and ground it skew and re-hardened it, it took 10 mins work to get the back properly flat. It seems to hold an edge pretty well, for the limited use it gets.

It cost 8 quid. There is nothing wrong with it except the handle is ugly. I will make a nice one for it next time I use the lathe.

Steve

So, a chisel that needs flattening, rehardening and a new handle. A waste of £8. Visit your local car boot and get a decent one for quid. :LOL:
Most of my chisels came from car boots and eBay, but car boots are closed now for the winter. I was pleased with myself, having avoided spending a load of dosh on a fancy one. Stop raining on my parade 😉

I might even get a Faithfull gouge.

My 2 skew chisels are just reground old chisels. If you take care not to over heat them then no need for heat treatment.
Hand to have but not used all that often.
Regards
John

My 2 skew chisels are just reground old chisels. If you take care not to over heat them then no need for heat treatment.
Hand to have but not used all that often.
Regards
John
I tried to take care but failed. They get pretty skinny in the corners.

I’m using it regularly while I’m into this moulding planes lark. Very handy for the “ramp” that blends the grip into the escapement.

For what it’s worth….

i needed a 1/4 inch skew chisel recently. I couldn‘t find a second hand one online, and I wasn’t up for paying for a posh one, so I went to Screwfix and got a Faithfull 1/4” bevel chisel and ground it skew and re-hardened it, it took 10 mins work to get the back properly flat. It seems to hold an edge pretty well, for the limited use it gets.

It cost 8 quid. There is nothing wrong with it except the handle is ugly. I will make a nice one for it next time I use the lathe.

Steve
Good thinking, as you have "made it" it will become a more useful and popular tool than you think

Yeap have two left and right for blind dovetails.
I used my worst set the 3/8 and 1/2 ones

Latest posts

Back