Looking for a tap of a certain variety

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mel769

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, would anyone out know where I can get hold of a tap similar to the one in the photo below ? Its the same as any other tap except it has a 1/4 inch socket at one end so it can be connected to a 1/4 inch drive ratchet. All the ones I can find are the standard generic ones that need the usual T-bar handle. Im needing a 5mm 0.80 pitch to be specific. Thanks

Attachments

• tap.jpg
    tap.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
All standard taps have a square end, just shim out if needed using drinks can material and force it in, use epoxy if you want a permanent job. Unless you know anyone with a welder who could add a little material which you can then file down to fit.

I need a long thin shaft with the tap on the end (awkward place to get a T-bar). Thought the photo above was ideal as could attach a wobble bar and so have a long shaft. Do you know if long screwdrivers with a square end (so I can attach a conventional tap) are available anywhere ??

You can get long tap holders M5-M12 Long Ratchet Tap Wrench 310mm Tap & Die Reversible T Bar Handle TE902 https://amzn.eu/d/f7vlbRh
Yes I have seen them but they have a rather bulbous end that will restrict where I need to tap. Its driving me mad this trying to find a suitable tool. As mentioned earlier If I could only find a tap like the one in the picture my trouble would be over as I could attach a wobble bar and job done ! But I cannot find anything similar anywhere; quite sad really in this day and age ! :cry: Well thanks for the answers anyway

How deep is the hole, what is the diametre, this has ( I think ) 150mm extension bar,
https://www.halfords.com/tools/hand...-25-piece-drive-metric-socket-set-332406.htmlweld the tap into a small socket. or weld one of the small adapter bits ( bottom left of box onto a long screwdriver shaft ) and then use with your tap welded into small socket.Easier still weld your tap to long screwdriver shaft.

Motor factors should sell long screwdrivers with 1/4 socket suitable ( square end with spring ball ) end ..I have seen them here in motor factors, also seen long 1/4 " drive extension bars upto around 30cm long

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses guys, you've been very helpful. Looks like Torx has nailed it; nice one Torx have a beer on me ! 🍺

Hi all, would anyone out know where I can get hold of a tap similar to the one in the photo below ? Its the same as any other tap except it has a 1/4 inch socket at one end so it can be connected to a 1/4 inch drive ratchet. All the ones I can find are the standard generic ones that need the usual T-bar handle. Im needing a 5mm 0.80 pitch to be specific. Thanks
Hi my dad used to make these by pressing the tap into a cheap 12 sided socket of just the right size. Trial and error
Chris

There are sets of 1/4” drive magnetic tapping sockets on EBay…usually a set of 8 with different size square holes to take the taps…exactly what you need..

That takes me back.. 50 years ago I "welded' up a tap wrench and a hex nut, so that I could tap holes using what used to be called a speed brace. Worked really well, although it helped to use a conventional tap wrench to start the job. I think these days you could use a cordless drill/driver, but back then they didn't exist, and the electric tapping machine in the factory was effing enormous (it also reversed automatically when you pulled rather than pushed).
None of which helps the OP very much...

Yes I have seen them but they have a rather bulbous end that will restrict where I need to tap. Its driving me mad this trying to find a suitable tool. As mentioned earlier If I could only find a tap like the one in the picture my trouble would be over as I could attach a wobble bar and job done ! But I cannot find anything similar anywhere; quite sad really in this day and age ! :cry: Well thanks for the answers anyway
I just wondered if you have thought of trying Snap-on tools?

Latest posts

Back